2013 Es350 Ultra Luxury Impressions After One Week

sdloeffler

Greetings, I've had my 2013 ES350 UL for a week now and thought I would post my thoughts for anyone interested in the car. By comparison, I traded in a 2007 UL with 95,000 miles.

Compared to my 2007 the outside appearance of the 2013 wins hands down. I've received numerous comments and compliments about the car and it does look sweet. One thing I had added, and am glad I did, were the body side moldings. I wasn't sure how they would look, but I've had a few Lexus owners in my office comment on how good they look. They break up the boring look of the side of the car, and they help protect the doors.

Interior of the 2013 compared to the 2007. 2013 again wins hands down. It looks richer, feels tighter, fit is better, and the overall flow of the interior seems to work better. IMO.

Electronics on the 2013 are great. Having to control so much through the mouse controller takes some getting used to and I think Lexus may have gone a little overboard with it. The Levinson stereo sounds phenomenal and the XM is awesome. I'm not sure I'm sold on the apps yet as I can do the same thing on my iPad or iPhone, so...

The car is loaded with a lot of safety features, and the ones I've used seem to work well. The blind side monitors work very well.

Where the 2007-2012 may appeal more to some is with the ride. Lexus has always had a unique ride and a comfort. Don't get me wrong, the new car is still comfortable and has a nice ride, but it's not exactly the same. First, they did stiffen up the suspension in, what appears to be, an attempt to make the car feel more sporty. The car looks more sporty anyway. The steering seems to be more responsive, and there isn't near the play in the steering wheel as my previous car. Going into turns, the car doesn't seem to roll as badly as previous models, so I guess they scored there. That said, you won't confuse this car for a BMW or Audi on a curvy road. I don't understand how Audi can make a car that rides like it's on a cloud, but can still corner like it's on rails and Lexus can't.

My car has 18 tires on it, and they're more on the low profile side than previous tires I've had on my cars. I have the Bridgestone's and tend to be more of a Michelin guy. I don't know if it's the suspension, or the tires, or probably a combination, but on rough road, you're going to feel the road a lot and hear it too. When going over speed bumps or other bumps, you're going to feel it a lot more than on previous ES models.

All in all, I would rate my new ES a 9.5 out of 10. I like the better handling, but miss the really nice ride in all conditions. yes, I want my cake and eat it too :)

Still, I'm happy with my purchase.

Oh, one final thought for those who might be looking at the UL with the all glass roof. It's nice, but you will experience a little more wind noise due to all of the glass. Mind you, it doesn't sound like you're in a tornado or anything, but it's a subtle difference.

Gas mileage - on the first tank I averaged about 24.5 mpg. A lot of highway driving, but I was getting on it a little too. We'll see how it averages out over 3 or 4 tanks.

These are my quick thoughts, but would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I have attached a pic of the car with the body side moldings. Let me know your thoughts.post-52881-0-01960700-1350452956_thumb.j

Regards, Scott

Congrats! She's a beauty.

I think your ride issues vs your 2007 is because of the 18" wheels. I've driven several ES350s, all on 17"s and the ride is near identical to my 2010, which should ride identically to a 2007. If you shut your eyes, you would be hard pressed to tell which car you were riding in.

So if you want your cake and to eat it too, you might want to think about swapping for some 17s.

Steve, you could be right since the 18" wheels require a lower profile tire. However, I also think it may have something to do with the rubber. Unfortunately, I was cursed with the Bridgestone EL400 tires and they are horrible. Loud, a lot of road feel, and hard. I've heard from numerous sources that the equivalent Michelin tire, the MXM4, is softer, smoother riding, and more quiet. In fact, I had someone at Butler Tire, here in Atlanta, and they excel at performance tires, told me this Bridgestone is a junk tire. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, the Bridgestone was a 4 and the Michelin a 8.5 to 9. I've been told I will feel a significant difference in ride and feel with the Michelin's over the bridgestone's. I'm working with the dealer to try and get them swapped out. I think the 18" help with handling, I just want a better ride. We shall see.

Anyone else have tire history they an share?

Have had our ES350 Tech Pack for a couple days now and totaly agree with your assement concerning the ride, while I can't compare it to any previous Lexus, since this is our first, I can compare to a 2011 Avalon, which I understand was very similar, while the quietness is still there, the ride is much firmer, Incidently ours has the Michelins and am not really noticing any road noise,same with regards to panaramic roof, although it is still early, just the same, we love the car so far, although the tech package can almost border on the intimidating, obviously quit a learning curve with this car!!

Vador

The Bridgestones are crappy tires, no doubt. I had those same tires on my 2010 when it was new, and replaced them after about 15k miles with the Michelin Primacy. The Bridgestones are okay tires when they are new, but go downhill quickly as they age. I really think your issue is going to be more the 18s than it is the Bridgestones at this point unfortunately.

Steve, think I responded to you on another forum, but wanted to hit you here as well.. I believe you are right. Unfortunately, I think it is the 18" wheels - Today I went and drove two ES350's with 17" wheels. One had Bridgestone's and one had Michelin's. Result - both cars with the 17's rode better than my new 2013 with the 18" wheels. The Michelin's in the end rode significantly better. My sales person could even tell the difference. I'm literally shocked that the 18 could be THAT different. I'm wondering if they also did something different suspension wise to the Ultra Luxury version, but my sales lady swears that have not. She says the only difference is the goodies you get on the UL. If that's the case, then yes, the difference between 17 and 18" wheels is significant. Working with Lexus now to figure out what to do. Think they may swap tires to see if I like the ride better and am satisfied with the different ride and better handling. otherwise, we may be looking at going down to 17's. that would suck a little as the 18's look a lot better, and I've already paid for them. I'm really hoping Lexus customer service comes through for me here. If I go back to 17's I defintely want the 10 spoke wheel over the base 6 spoke thought. Thanks for the insight.