95 Ls 400 Mutiple Misfire And White Smoke Need Help Bad

Titog.79

I've never heard of fuel injectors failing on an LS400 engine.

If you have multiple misfires the common cause is the driver's side ignition coil opposite the battery has this been checked?

You need an accurate diagnosis to avoid replacing more parts ad hoc.

Are your cats glowing red when the engine has run for a while?

Just my 2cents. Does it have a Check ENG Light?? If not, its a Vacuum leak. The smoke is un-burnt fuel of it flooding an pulling old carbon in as if you were seafoaming the motor... The miss will happen with spark loss an just a simple stupid vac' leak.. you might say no. But its true.. take your time an go an check all hoses " brake booster" being one an start.. if nothing good. check if the map is piped correctly an no minor leaks there.

If you have anymore questions feel free to Email me for more trouble shooting on this.. ill be glad to help. LemboMods@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Its in the computer. I have just been through this on my 95. White smoke, running rough, spewing out fuel etc. Got told it was injectors, maf, 02 sensors, blocked cats by various people and mechanics. In a last ditch effort I came across this post and I decided to pull out the computer and check the board. Checking with a magnifying glass I noticed a capacitor with a small amount of ooze around its base. I wrote down the cap number and went down to the electronics store and bought one for 44 cents. I then carefully unsoldered the old cap and soldered the new one in. Put everything back together in the car and presto everything back to normal. No miss, no smoke and plenty of power. The article says to replace them all but I was just happy to have the car work again. I believe for around $300 you can have it done by a computer repair place in the US. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/656360-all-my-crazy-lexus-issues-solved.html

Doesn't white smoke mean coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber? ......Answer no not if you have the symptoms I had. The white smoke is your fuel being pumped out the exhaust. While it was like like this I ran through almost a quarter of a tank of fuel just idling for around 20 mins.

Also white smoke could be power steering fluid being sucked into the intake manifold if the valve on the pump has failed, I would guess if there is a lot being lost it could also cause a misfire.

Have you checked the PS fluid level recently?

• 4 weeks later...

I had same issue, my tech ( I work at an Import non Lexus dealer) said leaking valve stems. Got a deal on a used engine, slapped it it. Week later, same smoke. Misfire code with a diff cylinder this time. Changed coils, reset light. Came back on after a couple of days. Had it diagnosed elsewhere, wiring or ECU they said. Got a used ECU...BINGO...no problem since.

AussiL is spot on...Good chance its unburnt fuel after getting heated up by the cat as the injector is stuck on pouring fuel into cylinder