Timing Problems 2001 Ls430

Zett123

Ok guys, My 2001 LS430 has an ignition timing problem. I know there is no adjustment in the timing as far as moving a distributor (if it had one) to make an adjustment.

Here is the problem, car seems to run excellent, hums like a sewing machine but when ( at any speed) I put the pedal to the metal, there sounds like a backfire and then takes off. Or, there is a hesitation then accelerates. There is about 140K on the car and I had the Timing belt and plugs replaced for the first time at 135K, ( I know, I know, should of been 90K). The car doesn't puff any smoke at all and there are no engine codes. I am getting about 15 in town and 23 highway miles. I always use premium gas and I don't have the lead foot like I did when I was in my teens.You don't notice the hesitation unless you need the power to pass or get on the highway. Any thoughts?

There are some products on the market such as " MSD Adjustable Timing Control" unit from "Horse Power Freaks". Are these any good?

Thanks,

JZ

I would not be so fast to declare this an "ignition timing problem". You are just guessing there. And forget the MSD adjustable timing control unless you want to really throw a monkey wrench into this mix.

You know, of course, that with the 'accelerate by wire' system in the LS430 (Throttle Position Sensor and servo) there is some inherent lag in response. They all do that. I am guessing you mean a really exaggerated hesitation. I would start by looking at the throttle body valve to see if it is dirty and perhaps hanging up.

I currently have 205,XXX miles on mine and I was experiencing a similar issue recently. I did a good amount of searching and found that a number of people pointed to a dirty Mass Air Flow meter. I bought an electronic cleaner and throttle body cleaner(both from AutoZone) and also cleaned the K&N while at it. I cleaned it all and it cleared up the issue. Hope that helps:)

I just noticed that my profile says I still have one of my LS400s. I currently have a 2001 LS430.