2000 Rx300 Timing Belt Replacement (Possibly Not Done)

teamgracey

A little backstory:

Love the RX300 series. I had a 1999 RX300 that I drove to 250k+ miles and loved it so instead of going to something much newer I just found a low mileage RX with hopes to run past 250K again. So I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus RX300 with only 102,000 miles on it (minimal soccer mom driving) that had great records and all maintenance performed at the local Lexus dealership. Always did the standard 30k 45k 60k 75k 90k services and had the timing belt, A/C, shocks and struts all performed very recently (90k mark) so I felt very comfortable with this purchase and got a good deal. I went to my local automotive repair shop for a check engine light blinking that ended up being small issue (ignition coil replacement) and they mentioned that my timing belt was also needing to be replaced as there was signicant cracking on the belt. After reviewing all of the service records this was allegedly done (and charged for) by the Lexus dealership at the 90k service mark (only 15k miles previously). My question is this: Should the Lexus dealership be responsible for actually changing it this time even though I am a new owner? I do have all of the service records that shows this was done. Suggestions anyone?

I would pull the top cover on belt and verify for yourself. If it is cracked than approach Lexus dealership. If not, than your mechanic is trying to send his kids to college on your dime.