Maf Replacement Options

DuaneG

Well, after everything, I have decided to replace the the MAF but I would like some suggestions on its replacement. Should I:

1. Go new ($1200 from dealer, NOT my first choice)

2. Aftermarket $400)

3. Salvage ($?)

4. Another option

As with everyone money is tight but I need to get this replaced. Any advice will be appreciated.

It started with the car stuttering at idle occasionally. Only at idle. Then the check engine light came on and would go off when I reached 25 mph. So I ran the codes. Codes 24 and 41, I think. It has been a while since I ran them, but that was the conclusion.

Since it is such an expensive part I would try to diagnose it a bit further before throwing parts at the problem.

As for poor idling here are some suggestions to check:

1. Check for leaks (cracks, loose fittings) in all of the air ducts between the intake manifold and MAF.
  2. Do a throttle body cleaning if one hasn't been done in >25k miles.
  3. Check that the IACV is not gummed up and is freely moving.

For the 25MPH symptom I would be sure you don't have an ignition issue. These car are notorious for coil problems that kill one bank of cylinders and dump a lot of unburnt fuel into the exhaust system (red hot catalytic converters). Many threads on this website to diagnose that issue.

Throttle body cleaning? Done a couple months ago. IACV? Cleaned as well. I was going off of the ECU codes. But I will re-check the codes again and see if I get another set of codes. And I can check the converters as well. Any other ways I can check if I have coil issues?

yes. If you have a bad coil it generally means the car is just running on 4 cylinders. That being the case if you unplug the bad coil you won't notice any performance drop with the engine (since it wasn't working anyway). Now reconnect and try the other bank. If it is good disconnecting it should kill the engine as with the other 4 cylinders already dead you'll now be now down to zero.