Right Channel Sounds "blown" 98 Ls400 Nakamichi

Vixter

Hi all, I just bought a 1998 LS400 and upon listening to the stereo, I found the right channel sounding "blown". I checked the connections on the amp under the passenger seat and it didn't help. Will I need a head unit or an amp? Help please, this is the only thing wrong on an otherwise perfect car. Thanks

It's hard to say what the cause of your problem is. When the right channel of my identical 2000 LS400 Nakamichi started cutting out and eventually quit working some years ago, everyone said that the amp was the problem. I tested my amp in a friend's 99 LS400 and found that my amp was OK. I sent the Nak head unit to http://www.carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm in Florida and they fixed the problem by resoldering the balance control. Last I heard, the Florida shop won't touch Nakamichi's due to parts not being available.

You might still contact the Florida company .... or http://factoryradioservice.com/index.php in California if you want to try a repair or buy a used replacement. It would be best if you could first figure out which component is the problem. There is always ebay - always lots of Nak's for sale there. My friend who used to have the 99 LS400 bought a complete 98-00 LS400 Nakamichi system from a ClubLexus forum member for a few hundred dollars except we later found out the problem with his original Nak was caused by the phone transciever in the trunk shorting out and muting all the speakers.

"Blown" as sounding distorted or "blown" as no sound at all? Don't leave the speakers out of this.

Did you run the fader back and forth from front to rear, and at different volume levels? Still nothing? Beyond possible wiring and/or radio issues, you might want to pull the door panels, remove the speakers and check them on the bench, either with a multimeter or another audio source. I've had to replace one of the Nak door speakers (completely dead) in my LS, and repair/replace the foam surrounds on another ('blown' sound from the cones rattling).

Good luck--

Paul

My guess is that because all the right side speakers sound "blown" is that it's probably not the speakers. The left ones sound perfectly normal. I am also assuming that because the left side has a nice sound, the amp is probably ok as well. I'll contact the Florida place and see what they have to say. Thanks for your replies.

Vixster, any chance you can find someone with a 98-00 LS400 with Nakamichi to test your amp in? It is easy to remove the amp in a 98-00 LS without removing the front passenger seat. Run the seat all the way forward, tilt up the back of the seat cushion and remove the plastic cover and a few screws. The front of the amp is held in place by one or two metal taps that slip into a slot - you would likely need somebody to guide these tabs in the slot when reinstalling the amp like I did.

Remove the plastic amp cover in the "donor car" and unplug the connectors from its amp - it is not necessary to remove the amp. Lay your amp on the rear floor of the donor car and plug the donor car's amp cables into your amp. If your amp works in the donor car, you know that the problem is likely in your head unit.

Well, it looks like it magically fixed itself! On my way home last night, the right channel decided to start working! What an awesome sounding system! I hope it holds for a while. I love this car!

Well, it looks like it magically fixed itself! On my way home last night, the right channel decided to start working! What an awesome sounding system! I hope it holds for a while. I love this car!

My Nakamichi did the same thing until the balance control was resoldered - both channels were fine for days at a time and then the right channel would be garbled or dead for days at a time. Surely it is not the same problem. Mine has worked perfectly since it was repaired in March 2008.