Cabin Heat?

Hello everyone! New owner of a black 2008 IS 250 and loving it! Have a question though, I am noticing that every time I drive the car, the inside feels really warm even though the car wasn't exposed to the sun and the weather is cool. Seems like the vents are driving hot air into the cabin even in the recirc mode. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Should I have the vents checked since it still blows air in the recirc mode? If so, how much should this cost? Any info on this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Are we talking about this happening when your A/C is off? If the A/C is off, the air coming out of the vents will be warmer when in recirculation mode. Manually change the mode to outside air to get cooler air.

Many people have wondered why the HVAC systems in most (all?) Lexus vehicles default to recirculation mode when the engine is started. I wish the HVAC in my LS would stay in the same mode (fresh air) it was in when the engine was last shut off but I've gotten use to changing the mode back to fresh air each time I start the engine.

Of course, none of the above applies when the A/C is on and "Auto" mode is on. In that scenario, the mode will likely still be in reciculation mode when the engine is started but it will automatically switch to outside air within a few minutes if the "smog sensor" is not sensing foul outside air - assuming the IS has the HVAC smog sensor feature.

It's time to get out your owners manual - which you can also view at https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home without registering.

Thanks 1990LS400. Yeah I am referencing this with the AC off. I feel like the vents are constantly blowing hot air into the cabin even in the recirc mode. Is this supposed to happen? I do switch it to outside air especially if the temperature outside is nice and cool. It just seems like this the only vehicle that I have experienced this.

The main point of recirculation mode in all cars is to recirculate the inside air to more quickly heat or cool the interior. Most systems do bring in a little outside air when in recirculation model. The temperature has been 70 degrees (+ or - 10 degrees) here the past couple of weeks when I started the engine in my LS after work. Every day hot air blasts out of the vents until I punch the button to put the system in fresh air mode.

The first three things I do when I get in my LS: Fasten seat belts, start engine, press the air flow mode button to switch from recirculation to fresh air.

My LS actually has a customizable feature to make the HVAC system "remember" the last air flow mode setting (fresh air or recirculation) when the car is started - but the feature is only for when the A/C is on.

Ah now it makes more sense. So it does blast hot air anyway until you put it to fresh air mode. I guess I will follow your 1-2-3 method an a daily basis! Thanks for your replies!