Sunroof Seal Tweaks Plus New Headlights

LSPaul

Hi, all--

A couple different topics--'93 LS here.

Sunroof seals: Over the past couple years I've had issues with the glass moonroof leaking in the front corners, soaking the headliner, dripping onto the front seats, etc. I've studied the threads here, and all four corner drains were flowing well. What appears to happen is that the rubber seal on the glass panel appears to have shrunk over time (as one would expect on nearly 20 year-old rubber exposed to the elements), and water would drip around and into the interior. While I could probably source a new glass seal from a Lexus dealer, I ended up tweaking the front corner of the seal, pulling them out and up slightly, which seems to have done the trick. The corners now stick up slightly above the body (a few mm), but it doesn't look bad. The interior stayed dry after a 3" rain over night.

Headlights: I finally got around to buying a set of the Eagle Eyes front headlights for my LS for $170ish, shipped, via online auction. The swap went smoothly, the lights are decent quality (Osram H4s are what they came with), and the headlight pattern is as good as discussed way back, here on the forum--nice, high cutoff to the right. Night-time driving is MUCH better now and the light pattern is close enough to a Euro/E-Code pattern that I'm happy. The new lights pretty much need to be a mandatory upgrade for the UCF10s. The fogs? Meh... but with the regular low-beams, one should rarely ever need to use fogs. Aim carefully.

I chose to stick with the stock corner lights, as the ones that came with the package didn't look good to me. Here's how the final product looks on my car: post-88308-0-72028700-1334502552_thumb.j

Paul

'93 LS, 210k miles

And it's been only three years since you and I discussed Eagle Eyes here. :whistles: Am I correct to assume that the OEM foglights won't fit next to the Eagle Eyes low/high beam unit? The thought the OEM foglights on the 90 LS I had were quite good and produced substantially more light than the foglights on my 2000 LS400. I particularly liked that the gen 1 LS foglights were amber.

How are the high beams on the Eagle Eyes? I don't remember anyone commenting about them.

Shims are available for adjusting the sunroof - I had to have the sunroof on my 90 LS adjusted once or twice after it was replaced.

Jim,

Yeah, it's been a while--I just now got around to doing it, as I haven't been driving the LS all that much the last couple years, but have spent more time in it this year, as the Saab's well past 300k miles and it has occasional maintenance needs. As Johnny Carson once said, "Better late than *really* late."

Highs are good (LOTS of light), but very sensitive to height adjustment--I definitely need to tweak the aim a bit. I haven't taken the original fogs out of the buckets, but may give that a try. The OE fogs are better, pattern-wise, and I also like the amber color. I'll post again if I do get the fogs swapped.

I'll need to go back and read more about the roof shims, although it seems to sit correctly.

Best,

Paul