Starting Problem....

speed101

I have a 1991 celsior and i have just replaced the alternator, battery and powersteering pump, this has been happening even before I replaced them but when I try to turn the key the electricity dies in the car and all I hear is one click. After when I try it again the power is still dead in the car and I have to remove the terminals and put them back on to get power. I have a brand new positive terminal, but the negative is looking brownish colour. suggestions??!?

You can begin by cleaning the battery terminals and charging the battery. Even if the battery is new, it may not be fully charged. The "brownish" color of the negative connector could just be some insignificant staining or it could indicate a bad connection and overheating at the terminal. After cleaning both terminals, you really need to get a voltmeter on the battery to determine the charge level.

You could also try jumping the battery and see if it will start. Once started, you can check the alternator charging level.

Let me tell you this important note. For whatever reason, these LS400's need a LOT of battery to start. A LOT more than most cars. Almost impossible to jump, ever for highly trained airport parking lot crews. You can not have too much battery in this car. Yeah, dirty terminals aren't good but, my guess is a battery that dies when a real hard load is placed on it. Be careful because the auto store people will often test it as okay but that doesn't mean it is. I'd suggest a Optima Red Top, worked for me.

I have a 1991 celsior and i have just replaced the alternator, battery and powersteering pump, this has been happening even before I replaced them but when I try to turn the key the electricity dies in the car and all I hear is one click. After when I try it again the power is still dead in the car and I have to remove the terminals and put them back on to get power. I have a brand new positive terminal, but the negative is looking brownish colour. suggestions??!?

You have shorted commutator segment within the starter motor. The starter motor comes to a stop on the shorted segment and the next time you go to start all you get is that single "click". Oftentimes multiple start attempts will move the starter motor off the shorted segment and now you "go"...

The ignition system starting circuit is designed so that many electrically powered items are de-powered in "start" mode.

You have shorted commutator segment within the starter motor. The starter motor comes to a stop on the shorted segment and the next time you go to start all you get is that single "click". Oftentimes multiple start attempts will move the starter motor off the shorted segment and now you "go"...

So, if the segment IS shorted, how do you ever get the starter to turn? If your theory is correct, the only way to get off of the 'dead' spot would be to physically move the starter by hand. I do not see how you can state this shorted commutator theory so emphatically and confidently. I am calling 'bs' on this one.