Need Advice - 99 Rx300

fairmaidon

Last week I pulled codes 1133 and 1354. I replaced the a/f sensor (front side) and eliminated 1133. To tackle 1354, I checked out the OCV and cleaned the OCV filter. I cleared the codes and took the car for a test drive. Was 10 minutes in when the CEL came on again, had random misfiring causing a studdering in acceleration, and the brakes got stiff.

Ran another diagnostic check. Now I have gone from just a 1354 to reading: 0300, 0302, 0304, 0306, and 1354.

I should also mention that the coils are in working order. Therefore, I think I can eliminate the codes 0302, 0304, 0306 as being related to something else. Where do I look next?

Suggestions are fully encouraged, and diagrams/pics are welcomed. Thanks!

Before replacing the valve, which all the symptoms and the codes would point to, and, normally I would agree with Lenore without hesitation, had I not had the same problem a year or so ago on the same engine that was not the valve. Before buying the OCV, check the wiring, and especially the connector at the OCV for any signs of backing out, corrosion or looseness.

The one we had in the shop actually had the pin contacts in the connector backing out slightly, making poor contact, and causing the clearance at the female contacts to spread slightly, due to the vibration caused by the backed off connection, further hindering continuity of signal between the OCV and the ECM. We had diagnosed a failed OCV, replaced it, and still had issues - even though we had checked for power, ground and signal at the connector when it was backprobed.

The backprobing created enough of a contact to make things look ok in the shop, but, remove the probes, drive the veh, and the OCV, of course, without good contact, did not work. We figured we got a faulty OCV, but upon a bench check, it was ok. It was not until we ran the veh on a dyno (so we could create a loaded condition to actuate the OCV) while wiggling the harness that we found the real fault. Chances are, you have a failed OCV and sludge - but just check the connector first.