Towing Capacity Or 09 Rx350?

Hi Y'all

We did it. The bride and I retired before they shoveled sand in our faces LOL. Thinking of a road trip with my RX and wondering what she will pull incase the bride allows me to rent a trailer so I can visit some National Parks and get mugged LOL. My rig does not have a hitch but don't they all have trailer tow packages? How can I check? I bought it from a lease company with 13K and now have 20.5K and am loving it.

Thanks for any worthwhile input.

Stephen

Hey Stephen! Welcome!

Nope, they don't all have trailer tow packages. I bought a Curt hitch for my wife's on ebay...less than $200. Bought the "Toyota" harness that plugs in beneath the rear stowage compartments...that's our towing package...less than $300 total compared to $800+ that a Lexus dealer will charge you for the same or comparable equipment. As for capacity, if memory serves me, the '09 RX350 will tow 3500 lbs max., or it may have been 3000, but I know it's at least that much. The Curt 2" receiver hitch is VERY nice, with a loop that goes around the tail pipe...it looks good...nearly as nice as a factory hitch and attaches with 4 bolts...VERY easy.

Please keep in mind the adverse effect the TOW weigh/inertia will have if you encounter a situation wherein a quick/sudden maneuver or/and panic braking is required. I wouldn't tow anything without having electric brakes for the TOW.

And you might find the regenerative braking being a lot less efficient due to the downward force on the rear bumper, less front traction, when slowing/coasting/braking.

On the other hand you're not likely to have much use for regen braking on your "tours", highway cruising.