While replacing the air filter today, and moving things

around, I saw that the black rubber accordian-pleated

intake boot (I think that is what it's called...it's between

the MAF and the metal intake pipe) was split about 1/2

way around on one of the pleats. When everything was

put back together, that boot was jammed back so tight I

would be surprised if it could even leak any air at all. The

car ran normally afterwards (no loss of power). But on

the off chance that it is leaking miniscule amounts of air...

Does anyone know whether California's Low Pressure

Fuel Evap Test will detect something like that? I know

they pressurize the gas tank...but (excuse the dumb

question) wasn't sure what else is involved.

The name of the part is 'air intake hose'. I found one for as little as $26 online, but it's probably not an OEM. Curious whether others have braved aftermarket hoses. I'm assuming this one is made in China...the Lexus parts online shop wanted $62.

There's an idea. Never heard of heat shrink, butI will check with Autozone today!

The name of the part is 'air intake hose'. I found one for as little as $26 online, but it's probably not an OEM. Curious whether others have braved aftermarket hoses. I'm assuming this one is made in China...the Lexus parts online shop wanted $62.

Ok, got it. That part would cost me $75+or- with tax and shipping so I this is the way to go.

The heat shrink can be had at Harbor Freight tools.....but it has to be the wrap kind....not sleeves....

Came up with another solution: sold at multiple stores : Lowes etc. Called E-Z Fuse tape and can withstand temps up to 500 degrees....here it is

http://www.google.co...ved=0CE8Q8wIwBA#

I actually bought some but have not used it yet....I think this would be the best solution.....

Lenore -- Do you know if this intake hose is part of the evap system? This video is for an OBDII, but the general idea is prob the same for first gens. If the hose is not part of iwhat they will be evap testing, I canl do the shrink wrap after the smog test...

Great. This works better location wise (Lowes store is closer).

Came up with another solution: sold at multiple stores : Lowes etc. Called E-Z Fuse tape and can withstand temps up to 500 degrees....here it is

I actually bought some but have not used it yet....I think this would be the best solution.....

Great reviews on the product. So I wrap just the hose itself (end to end,) up to but not including the clamps? I recall seeing two clamps, one on each end of the hose..The split was on the underside of the hose about 2/3rds of the way over, if measuring from left to right. I would say slightly less than half of the circumference was gaping on the underside. Can I wrap it while the hose is on the car? Or does the thing have to be removed. .

http://www.crxsi.com/info/driveability-diagnostics-emissions/EVAP-Evaporative-Emission-Control-System.htm

I may have just answered my own question. According to this, the air intake hose is not part of that system so would not show up as a leak on a low pressure fuel evap pressure test. The hose still needs to be fixed, though...