Having Prombles 94 Lexusls400

robertjac

need answers, i started driving car and lost power , turned around went home, look under car caticlic converters red hot , seems to be to much fuel ?, i found a bad spark wire, replaced , wires, plugs, coil, there r two,still same promble, i notice that when i push, gas pedal tac, goes down still, not ruuning rigth

• 2 weeks later...

You replaced both ignition coils? The top one's easy to do/find (I think that's for the RH bank of cylinders). The LH side coil is down on the front lower side of the engine. When the LH coil failed on mine, it had the same failure mode (not running on all cylinders, cats glowing red due to gobs of unburned fuel). Check your coil-to distributor wires, while you're at it.

Paul

need answers, i started driving car and lost power , turned around went home, look under car caticlic converters red hot , seems to be to much fuel ?, i found a bad spark wire, replaced , wires, plugs, coil, there r two,still same promble, i notice that when i push, gas pedal tac, goes down still, not ruuning rigth

Most likely a plugged up cat. Internal honeycomb structure fails and chunks block higher level exhaust flow.

Most likely a plugged up cat. Internal honeycomb structure fails and chunks block higher level exhaust flow.

Agree with prev posters that cats are probably damaged and internally meleted down/plugged up if they are turning noticably red. Given that you found some of your ignition components were faulty, chances are if one coil failed, the other coil is probably weak or already failed. Make sure you use good quality parts, not just whatever the parts store wants to throw at you or whatever is the cheapest. We've had real good luck with NGK plugs in the Lexus models we have serviced, and we usually use Belden or Accel wires. But, everybody has their preferences.

Rule out ignition issues before touching the CATS. They are often cited as the problem but seldom are. Ignition on the other hand is a frequent problem. Go with the odds and sort out ignition first.

Lots of posts on this site with procedures to follow to narrow it down.