New 2003 Es300 Owner

wwilsonxp

Hi guys!

I'm a proud new owner of a 2003 Lexus ES300! I bought it for about $10k and it only has about 60K miles on it. This is my first car so i'm still new as to what to do with it in terms of maintenance. I have a few questions (please forgive my ignorance if this was already answered before). First of all my MPG isn't as high as i thought it would be (Getting about 18.5MPG highway no traffic) is there anything a newbie like me could do to fix this? Also my windshield wipers won't go down all the way (i could see it when i'm driving and its not in use... does this apply to me? http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39293)..... I could exchange some computer help for some advice on what to do about this!

thank in advance!

Hi guys!

I'm a proud new owner of a 2003 Lexus ES300! I bought it for about $10k and it only has about 60K miles on it. This is my first car so i'm still new as to what to do with it in terms of maintenance. I have a few questions (please forgive my ignorance if this was already answered before). First of all my MPG isn't as high as i thought it would be (Getting about 18.5MPG highway no traffic) is there anything a newbie like me could do to fix this? Also my windshield wipers won't go down all the way (i could see it when i'm driving and its not in use... does this apply to me? http://us.lexusowner...showtopic=39293)..... I could exchange some computer help for some advice on what to do about this!

thank in advance!

Hi Wilson. Welcome to the LOC. All information and help here is free and given by other members volunteraly, so no need to swap computer help.

Off the top of my head I don't know the complete answer to your questions. Some others will chime in here and help out.

Paul

wwilsonxp,

I believe that the wipers arms can be parked closer to the bottom of the glass, because there are two starting positions for them, one for summer and one for winter. The winter position keeps the wipers further up the glass from the cowl, to help prevent them from freezing in ice and snow on the hood, in areas of North America where this may be a problem.

On my wife's 04 ES330, one has to grasp the driver's wiper arm (when the wipers are parked) about half way down its length (not the wiper blade) and pull it up towards the top of the car firmly, until you feel it click into its new position. This winter position parks the blades about 4 or 5 inches up from the bottom of the windshield.

That said, this is on an 04. Yours should be the same, BUT CHECK your owner's manual to be sure.

When returning the blades to the summer parking position, just push the arm down until the blades are at the bottom of the windshield. You'll only need to do this on the one wiper arm, as the passenger side wiper will follow suit.

As far as gas mileage is concerned, from your mileage (60 000) I suspect that you may need new spark plugs (iridium?), a new air filter, injector cleaner added to the fuel tank, a throttle body cleaning and properly inflated tires. You may also have to back off on the accelerator. Running at sixty mph (as we have to do here in Canada) yields far better gas mileage than seventy does.

Thanks for the welcome paul!

wwilsonxp,

I believe that the wipers arms can be parked closer to the bottom of the glass, because there are two starting positions for them, one for summer and one for winter. The winter position keeps the wipers further up the glass from the cowl, to help prevent them from freezing in ice and snow on the hood, in areas of North America where this may be a problem.

On my wife's 04 ES330, one has to grasp the driver's wiper arm (when the wipers are parked) about half way down its length (not the wiper blade) and pull it up towards the top of the car firmly, until you feel it click into its new position. This winter position parks the blades about 4 or 5 inches up from the bottom of the windshield.

That said, this is on an 04. Yours should be the same, BUT CHECK your owner's manual to be sure.

When returning the blades to the summer parking position, just push the arm down until the blades are at the bottom of the windshield. You'll only need to do this on the one wiper arm, as the passenger side wiper will follow suit.

As far as gas mileage is concerned, from your mileage (60 000) I suspect that you may need new spark plugs (iridium?), a new air filter, injector cleaner added to the fuel tank, a throttle body cleaning and properly inflated tires. You may also have to back off on the accelerator. Running at sixty mph (as we have to do here in Canada) yields far better gas mileage than seventy does.

GBhrps

I just tried what you said for the windshield wipers and it worked perfect now my wipers are in the "summer position"

I also lightened up on the accelerator and my MPG is now going up!! Thank you so much for the advice. Also the parts you listed can i replace those myself or should i get a mechanic to do it? (I'm broke after buying this car trying to save my pennies)

Once again thank you for the advice!

wwilsonxp,

You can do all of the work yourself, .... if you're a backyard mechanic who has been in the back yard long enough. Otherwise you should leave the hard stuff to a mechanic whom you trust.

The iridium spark plugs are not cheap (only need replacing every 60 000 miles, I believe), but are next to impossible to change on the 3 cylinders by the firewall under the intake manifold, unless you have the correct tools and very small hands. Most mechanics will want to pull the intake manifold to do the job, and that's big money. But it can be done without the manifold pull, but is time consuming and frustrating. The front 3 plugs are a snap.

In your case, unless you notice the engine running rough, I'd leave them alone until you can afford to get them done.

You can change the air filter yourself, as well as add the fuel injector cleaner. The throttle body cleaning should be left to someone who knows what they are doing. And I suppose that you can check your own tire pressures (don't forget the spare ).

Welcome to the club, and enjoy your new classy ride!

Thank you for the information gbhrps!! Now i have a new problem my check engine light came on! Should i start a new thread on this?

I went to autozone for the code and i got code P2238

Air fuel (AF) sensor pumping current circuit low 11 probable cause

1. Open or short circuit condition

2. Poor electrical connection

3. Failed AF sensor heater

4. Failed AF sensor

those were written on my receipt from autozone. Any inputs?

Alright after a lot of googling and a lot of phones calls i found out that i need to buy a new o2 sensor. I was recommended to buy the Original equipment. I'm just not sure if its made by bosch or benso and where a reliable place to buy it. If anyone could chime in that would be great