1993 Ls400 Wiper Problem

bluelexus2

hello out there !

i have a right hand drive LS400 1993 ucf10 model down here in Australia

it has a problem with the wiper blade hitting the vertical trim piece ! it is very annoying

when the screen is dry the blade is about an inch from the trim - with water applied it goes further and starts to hit the trim

of course it is the right hand trim piece on a RHD car - no one down here has heard of the problem

action so far:

rebulit articulated wiper arm - no change

lowered arm as far as i can on the spindle

removed wiper motor and linkage and inspected - slight wear , but nothing out of the ordinary

bought another used wiper assembly - swapped over the link with the ball pivot socket in each end - but no change

any ideas, thanks , Murray Mules

I have the same problem on my 1997 LS400.

On the annual MOT test, it was noted that the wiper arm was loose, you can move it around its axis slightly. It hits the trim on the right when I am driving faster than about 70. I guess that's due to the air pushing it. Also when the wipers are switched off, they don't always travel right down (out of view) but if you were to get out and push them they would. I have checked and it is tightly fitted on the motor splines.

I think a slight amount of wear in the motor assembly will translate to quite a large movement at the end of the wiper. I read of someone on the UK forums fitting a replacement motor and that cured the issue. I think its down to a worn bush but don't quote me on that.

Get your wipers to the end of the stroke so they are vertical on the windscreen and stop them in that position by turning off the ignition ( may take a few attempts to get it right) Then lift the wiper off the screen slightly and gently move it left to right to see if there is any play in the arm indicating play in the mechanism.

BTW is it a Lexus model or the Toyota Celsior you have?

• 2 months later...