03 Ls430 Speaker Problems

03LS430

I just bought this car and the drivers door speaker does not work at all and the drivers dash speaker fades in and out.

Any suggestions? Dealer wants $500-800 to replace door speaker if this is this problem. Help!

I just bought this car and the drivers door speaker does not work at all and the drivers dash speaker fades in and out.

Any suggestions? Dealer wants $500-800 to replace door speaker if this is this problem. Help!

Hi Doug. Welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

From what you describe it could be several things. Yes, a bad speaker in the door, a loose connection, a bad output channel in the amplifier, etc. You say the dash speaker "fades" in and out. Do you mean it gets loud then soft, then loud again, or does it cut in and out; sound one minute - no sound the next and so on.

Please clarify.

Obviously, the car isn't covered by some warranty plan. Then I would not have the dealer work on it. Lexus dealers don't repair their audio equipment. They just swap out parts. I would suggest you take it to a well known Car audio shop and have them do the diagnostics on your system. A lot cheaper and more accurate. If it turns out to be a component and not the speaker, they may be able to repair it.

Write back and let us know what's up.

Paul

Failure of the driver's door speaker is VERY common. Due to the VERY tight door/window sealing the cabin PRESSURIZES each time a door is closed, and guess which door is most often opened and closed, or is most OFTEN the LAST door closed..

What I have most often found is that the speaker cone outside support surround has separated from the speaker frame.

Replacing the door speakers is a VERY easy DIY task.

None of the LS400's that I have had extended experience with, 90, 91, 92, and 95, have had "dash" speakers so I can be of no help there.

Hi guys,

Well, I figured ou that.whenever I program the Nav to a destination the front drivers side dash speaker would fade out....then later fade in. It seems to like it fades for the nav voice. However, I don't hear the nav voice at all.

Does the nav voice only come from the left drivers door speaker?

Hi guys,

Well, I figured ou that.whenever I program the Nav to a destination the front drivers side dash speaker would fade out....then later fade in. It seems to like it fades for the nav voice. However, I don't hear the nav voice at all.

You didn't mention you had a nav installed.. I really don't know how the 2003 is set up. but in my 2010 you can select either the driver side speaker or the center dash speaker for the Nav voice to play.

My best guess is you have more than a speaker problem.

Hi guys,

You didn't mention you had a nav installed.. I really don't know how the 2003 is set up. but in my 2010 you can select either the driver side speaker or the center dash speaker for the Nav voice to play.

My best guess is you have more than a speaker problem.

Well, here's my status.

I had a car stereo shop replace my driver's door speaker and rear sub. Much cheaper than factory.

My nav voice does indeed come out of the driver's door speaker. (I don't have a center dash speaker and it offers no option.)

I now hear the voice, however the speaker was a set that also had a seperate tweeter speaker and this new door speaker does not have any trebble so the voice is difficult to understand. I will now purchase the Lexus ML speaker and have it replaced again. A lesson learned. Had it not been for the nav voice I would have been ok with the change.

Sub woofer...I can't really tell. ha

What about the Nav voice fading in and out? Did the new speaker fix that problem?

Just out of curiosity, if the original door speaker was a coaxial, why didn't you replace it with another coax, there by eliminating the need to replace the one you have in there now. Also, your going to put in a ML speaker. Is this an ML system in your car?

Lot of questions I know.

Paul

What about the Nav voice fading in and out? Did the new speaker fix that problem?

Just out of curiosity, if the original door speaker was a coaxial, why didn't you replace it with another coax, there by eliminating the need to replace the one you have in there now. Also, your going to put in a ML speaker. Is this an ML system in your car?

Lot of questions I know.

Paul

Yes, I have a ML with Nav.

I never heard the nav voice (just bought the car) but the front left dash speaker would face down and then back up when I was using Nav so I figured that was to quiet down for the nav voice which had to come from the driver's door speaker which was not working.

I didn't know I had a coxial speaker. Now I know. I paid for this lesson.

I'm glad you finally got everything working. But, I have to tell you, we might have been able to save you some grief and money had you told us from the begining all of the facts and details such as you were dealing with an ML system. With each thread you dribbled out another piece of the puzzle instead of summeizing it all at once so we could hopefully give you a overall solution.

Best of luck,

Paul