2001 Gs 300 Steering Wheel Controls

According to the 2001 GS owners manual on the Lexus website - http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM30579/pdf/om1sourc/2001om/01gs430o/22.pdf - the steering wheel audio controls were only on the GS430. Either someone added the module to your GS or it is really a control for a dealer installed phone system.

Do the buttons on your steering wheel look like the ones shown in the owners manual for the GS430?

According to the 2001 GS owners manual on the Lexus website - http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM30579/pdf/om1sourc/2001om/01gs430o/22.pdf - the steering wheel audio controls were only on the GS430. Either someone added the module to your GS or it is really a control for a dealer installed phone system.

Do the buttons on your steering wheel look like the ones shown in the owners manual for the GS430?

No they don't look like that. On the left and right "spokes" of the steering wheel are one button each on the front and back of the steering wheel labelled "down". They don't seem to operate the radio or cruise. I am trying to figure out if they just don't work or they are intended to control something I am unaware of. I will try to find a picture/diagram of the steering wheel.

2005-lexus-gs-300-4-door-sedan-steering-wheel_100266356_m.jpg

Figured it out.

GS 300 has a high-output 220-horsepower 3.0-liter inline-6. The 2001 model has steering wheel controls to manually shift the transmission.

Bought my wife a used GS 300 that did not have an owner's manual. There are "Up" and "Down" buttons on the steering wheel. What are they designed to control?

I have a 2002 GS-300 and the buttons on the steering wheel are used for manual shifting when the gear selector is in the manual position. The down button downshifts and the up button up-shifts.

I have the same thing on my 98 GS400. If you shift the gear selector to M (left of D) you can shift the car from 2-5. This is a sort of manual shifting.. like paddle shifters or something like that..

If you didnt notice, there are also buttons immediate behind on the back of the wheel that act as the "Up" shift.