Look For Suggestion On Strut Mount Replacement

RX300MS

Hi, all,

I know this front strut mount noise is a well known issue. my 99 RX300 (157k miles) now is getting worse on this. I am planning to get both replaced. My question is should I just replace the strut mount or I should replace strut, spring too?

If I just change strut mount, do I need an alignment too?

Also, my back one is making some noise too know (thanks to my recent trip to Jackson, MS, worse city roads ever). The noise is kind like da.da.da, different from the one from front strut. What should I change in this case, the whole strut?

Thanks so much for any information.

Hi, all,

I know this front strut mount noise is a well known issue. my 99 RX300 (157k miles) now is getting worse on this. I am planning to get both replaced. My question is should I just replace the strut mount or I should replace strut, spring too?

If I just change strut mount, do I need an alignment too?

Also, my back one is making some noise too know (thanks to my recent trip to Jackson, MS, worse city roads ever). The noise is kind like da.da.da, different from the one from front strut. What should I change in this case, the whole strut?

Thanks so much for any information.

Rather than pay the high price for new rubber strut mount/cushions, which would undoubtedly soon fail also, I used about 16" of rubber clothes washer water hose. Simply force the hose over the top coil of the coil spring, no more metal to metal contact going over speed bumps, etc.

The OEM rubber strut mount/cushion is fairly thick EXCEPT for over the 3 bolt heads that are used to mount it in the fender top. Over time those thin sections are "squeezed" away and now you have the top coil of the coil spring in contact with those bolt heads.

Thanks, Jaswood.

So you are saying the noise comes from spring coil rubbing the strut mount.

The idea of using a water hose seems to me would be easily worn out, so does yours turn out pretty good? This is definitely worth a try, saving at least 130 bucks :)

Thanks again!

Thanks, Jaswood.

So you are saying the noise comes from spring coil rubbing the strut mount.

The idea of using a water hose seems to me would be easily worn out, so does yours turn out pretty good? This is definitely worth a try, saving at least 130 bucks :)

Thanks again!

Not rubbing but contacting/bumping with suddnd sharp vertical movements of the strut. About 120,000 miles ago.