Oil Change Due

prix

I know there must lots of threads on this topic, but since I can't search for three letter words (oil) I can't find them.

Question: I just got a quote for a $25 oil change (my car really needs it). They use Valvoline 5-W-30 (this is the right weight for my car, and it's regular oil (what I use), not synthetic. This includes replacing the filter and gasket. They did not specify type of filter. Should I go with this (at Sears Auto)? Pretty sure it's a 'loss leader', meaning they do not make money on the service, but they do it to get you accustomed to/going to their shop for services.

Or, should I pay $60 plus to someone who uses Mobil 1?

One parts guy at a Lexus dealer said any 5-W-30 will do. Last time I bought 7 qts. from him (Toyota motor oil from that particular Lexus dealer) and took it to an indie shop who changed it out for me. Bit of a hassle, but still saved loads on dealer price.

Opinions/suggestions appreciated. All I care about is not doing anything dumb that I will regret. A $25 oil change sounds fantastic about now. :-)

but since I can't search for three letter words (oil) I can't find them.

That's a good one! And you are absolutely right. You cannot search for 3-letter words but you could put "engine oil" (in quotes) and that would work.

This a volatile subject but in a nutshell, yes, the Valvoline, and whatever filter, is just fine. Go for it as it sounds like a good deal. You do NOT need Mobile 1 (coming from a guy who runs Mobile 1 and Toyota filter in my Lexus B) ).

Great, thank you (both for how to search and the input on the oil issue)! The oil change before last I had done at a dealership and I am looking right at the invoice and it says they used 5-W-30 bulk oil.

Really appreciate the quick reply...getting over there ASAP. Nice to be able to stretch the budget for auto maintenance, since I have lots more I want/need to do besides an oil change. TX!!

That's a good one! You are absolutely right. You cannot search for 3-letter words but you could put "engine oil" (in quotes) and that would work.

This a volatile subject but in a nutshell, yes, the Valvoline is just fine. Go for it as it sounds like a good deal. You do NOT need Mobile 1 (coming from a guy who runs Mobile 1 in my Lexus B) ).

Great, thank you (both for how to search and the input on the oil issue)! The oil change before last I had done at a dealership and I am looking right at the invoice and it says they used 5-W-30 bulk oil.

Really appreciate the quick reply...getting over there ASAP. Nice to be able to stretch the budget for auto maintenance, since I have lots more I want/need to do besides an oil change. TX!!

That's a good one! You are absolutely right. You cannot search for 3-letter words but you could put "engine oil" (in quotes) and that would work.

This a volatile subject but in a nutshell, yes, the Valvoline is just fine. Go for it as it sounds like a good deal. You do NOT need Mobile 1 (coming from a guy who runs Mobile 1 in my Lexus B) ).

One additional way you can search for 3 letter words is to use the LOC/Google search in the upper right top of the page. It is a small horizontal white bar with very faint print. Just enter oil, no quotes, next click on Google search, then click go. It will do a search of the entire LOC data base but list it in Google format. I use it almost all the time now.

Let me know what you think.

Last time I bought a 10-pack of OEM oil filters for my 00 LS, I paid right at $4 per filter at a Toyota dealer including the oil plug washer which should be replaced at every oil change. All years of the LS400/LS430 use the same oil filter which is the same oil filter used by a number of Toyota V8 SUV's.

Awesome. My new favorite search tool. :-)

One additional way you can search for 3 letter words is to use the LOC/Google search in the upper right top of the page. It is a small horizontal white bar with very faint print. Just enter oil, no quotes, next click on Google search, then click go. It will do a search of the entire LOC data base but list it in Google format. I use it almost all the time now.

Let me know what you think.

That's a very good deal. Is the 'oil plug washer' the same as 'gasket'? When I bought the supplies for an oil change at a dealer, that is what they sold me: The oil, a gasket, and a filter. Nothing says 'oil plug washer' that I can see. Tx.

So late yesterday, for $25, here's what I got done: Oil change (including new filter and gasket), topped off coolant, topped off brake fluid with Dot 3 (it was at minimum level but this is likely the result of 'normal' loss of fluid over the past few years), checked transmission fluid, removed engine air filter and blew it out with a high pressure hose as it was 'moderately' dirty (they did not have one that fit exactly and I want an OEM replacement anyway), checked serpentine belt, and adjusted tire pressure. I was a one happy camper when I left, and so was my car. I plan on rechecking fluid levels to make sure they are 'holding' as they should in the next few days.

Last time I bought a 10-pack of OEM oil filters for my 00 LS, I paid right at $4 per filter at a Toyota dealer including the oil plug washer which should be replaced at every oil change. All years of the LS400/LS430 use the same oil filter which is the same oil filter used by a number of Toyota V8 SUV's.

Don't know when the last time you had the transmission fluid changed but you might want to have a quick 2 quart drain and refill. I usually do this when changing the oil. Its cheap tranny maintenance.

I was just checking up on that today...(figuring out what else I need to do). It's been a couple of years since it was changed. The thing is, I haven't driven the car much in that time frame. But if based on time (rather than mileage) I probably should get that done. Thoughts?

All I care about is that whoever does it uses the Toyota fluids (I have the part number from an old invoice). I'll even buy the stuff and take it to the indie mechanic if that is what it takes. I'm not having the work done at the dealership (they are really expensive).

Don't know when the last time you had the transmission fluid changed but you might want to have a quick 2 quart drain and refill. I usually do this when changing the oil. Its cheap tranny maintenance.