My Lexus Ran Away!

A1car

Wow! I got out of my car this morning at the Drs office and started to step up on the sidewalk. I glanced back at the car and saw it rolling backwards across the parking lot toward a steel and cement post. I took off after it as it turned slightly toward some cars and then rolled faster and faster down the incline. I jerked the door open (luckily I hadn't locked it)and jumped inside, jamming on the brakes and stopping it in the nick of time.

Some things I hadn't yet learned in 66 years but now know:

1. If you're running after a car, drop everything--cell phones, briefcases, piles of papers--everything not worth more than the car. You'll need both hands!!

About a year ago, a family member had something similar happen with a nearly-new Lexus HS. Unfortunately, he wasn't so lucky and the car rolled onto a golf course where it hit a tree, although the damage was relatively minor and easily repaired.

I know I haven't been able to remove the key before putting the car in park on either of my LS 400s, but I guess the design must be different on newer models with the smart key system. Other than the emergency shutoff procedure, I'm surprised that the system even allows the engine to be turned off before shifting the transmission into park.

The only gears the key can be removed in are park or neutral...

How True!! Which is why I need to get my car fixed because for the last 6 months the key CAN be removed in drive, reverse, D1 as well as park and neutral. Because of -$$, I've been foolishly putting off repairs but this incident woke me up!!

The car is a 98 Lexus ES 300 and it has been purring like a kitty for 13 years. This just started this year. Is there a safety switch that somehow locks the key in until the car is in Park? Someone with a Nissan reported that an adjustment of this switch fixed his similar problem. The key turns easily and never gets stuck. How much would it cost to replace the barrel and key assembly? Do I need the Lexus dealer to do this? If I knew a safety switch (?) could be adjusted, I could ask them to try that first. . .

Thanks,

Judy

PS I'm a young 66 but I don't think I would run after it next time!