Oil Change Warning

ktenneti

All,

I recently purchased a CPO(certifed pre-owned) 2008 Lexus ES 350 that has 24000 miles on it june 2011. It now has 27000 miles on it and the Oil change warning keeps coming up every time I start the car. Should I get the oil change done and use up my first free service ? It was my understanding when I bought the car that the car is fully inspected under the CPO process and the necessary services including oil change are done before selling the car. The dealer says I should use my free service right now and fix the issue asap. I am confused since oil changes are recommended every 5000 miles and I should be doing my oil change at 29k miles. Is there a chance that the dealer did not change oil during the Certified pre-owned inspection process ? Any suggestions on what to do next ?

All,

I recently purchased a CPO(certifed pre-owned) 2008 Lexus ES 350 that has 24000 miles on it june 2011. It now has 27000 miles on it and the Oil change warning keeps coming up every time I start the car. Should I get the oil change done and use up my first free service ? It was my understanding when I bought the car that the car is fully inspected under the CPO process and the necessary services including oil change are done before selling the car. The dealer says I should use my free service right now and fix the issue asap. I am confused since oil changes are recommended every 5000 miles and I should be doing my oil change at 29k miles. Is there a chance that the dealer did not change oil during the Certified pre-owned inspection process ? Any suggestions on what to do next ?

Of course it's possible. Have you tried to see the service records when the car was "certified" at 24K?

I just checked my service history and the only thing it says is "CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED PDI" was done at 23904 miles. I checked the online 161 checkpoint list at http://www.lexus.com/cpo/pdf/CPO_161_Checklist.pdf and couldn't find oil change in the CPO inspection list. So looks like I will have to get an oil change. Does any one know if CPO includes an oil change ?

I just checked my service history and the only thing it says is "CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED PDI" was done at 23904 miles. I checked the online 161 checkpoint list at http://www.lexus.com/cpo/pdf/CPO_161_Checklist.pdf and couldn't find oil change in the CPO inspection list. So looks like I will have to get an oil change. Does any one know if CPO includes an oil change ?

It probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get and oil change and tire rotation. Then you can then begin to monitor it on your own and be sure of when the service was done. You could go to a private shop and save your free service from the dealership for later.

I would have thought that your CPO car would have come with the check list which includes the item "• Engine oil replaced and proper level" which would indicate whether or not the oil was changed. Did you get a packet of documents when you bought your car?