05 Ls430: Rear Vanity Light Clip Broken

skassamali

http://lexus.sewellparts.com sells the rear vanity mirror assembly for $227.23 if you register with an auto forum member name. You can also view the part numbers at http://www.toyodiy.com

I suppose you could first take the mirror assembly off and see if you can rig a fix without buying a new one. I'm not familiar with this particular part but I'm guessing that the light lens can be pryed off to expose the screws holding the assembly to the roof -- that's the way overhead light assemblies are usually removed in vehicles made by Toyota.

Bulb replacement instructions were removed from Lexus owners manuals about 15 years ago. The owners manual for the LS I bought in 1990 had instructions for many bulbs and all the exterior ones.

The attached diagram of the rear vanity light from http://www.toyodiy.com might help. I think it shows only two screws or bolts holding the assembly to the roof. I am guessing that the screws/bolts will be exposed if the lens is removed.

Does it look like the lens can be pried off with a thin tool such as a putty knife blade? That's usually the way interior lenses on Toyota vehicles are removed.

As for your other question ... did you buy the Lexus !Removed! wipe warranty? :rolleyes:

post-2157-0-60111500-1316557703_thumb.jp

Took the whole thing apart, found one plastic clip that had broken into 3 pieces. Tried superglue and it held up until I put everything back together and then it broke again.

B/c of a $.20 clip, I'll have to spend $230 for a whole new fixture.

Any ideas on alternatives?

Any ideas on alternatives?

A bit of velcro?

Actually, $230 seems pretty low. I spent something like that replace the front center overhead light cluster in my 00 LS when the passenger side light stopped working several years ago.

I think it boils down to whether or not you want to keep your car in tip top order. Some people let little issues like this pile up until they seem like a mountain of problems that make them dissatisfied with their formerly nice cars. Fixing issues like this can make an owner feel better about keeping a car a long time while wringing the value out of it.

The 04-06 LS430 is a really nice car. I'm not the only one who considers these to be the last desirable cars in the LS series and worth keeping in good order as long as feasible.