Hid On Es330

hilchan

Just curious on how does the auto HID leveling works in the ES330.

Is this triggered by suspension level changes? or is there some kind of sensor to direct the HID to correct its level.

Is there a way to modify this and change to a manual leveling. Sometime this HID auto leveling aim so low on a dark freeway that it is almost useless compare to a manual HID leveling.

I am used to manual HID leveling on my Infiniti and just loved it. I can manually lower on stop and go traffic to reduce glare on lower cars in front of me and raise it manually for dark freeways. The manual leveling exist to avoid blinding oncoming drivers when your rear is loaded with heavy cargo that it point the front lights higher. Lowering HID level avoids accident to oncoming and avoid flashes from the oncoming traffic.

Sensors in the suspension detect how the nose of the car is pitching, and sends the data to a control unit, which controls motors that move the lower half of the hinged reflector bowl (raising and lower the beam cutoff). It auto-levels with respect to constantly returning the cutoff to a pre-set "center point." Some people have complained that the center point seems too low, but I'd caution against raising it too high for the reasons you mention yourself. I believe they were selling a manual override control unit for the levelling over on IS300.net. You'd have to make sure that the ES and IS use the same control unit, and that the device would work on an ES.

Thanks for the great info.

It's good to see there is light on the other side of the tunnel, I'll look around and hope to find a control switch that would fit the ES without looking too much of an aftermarket. but happy to know we can override the HID self leveling mechanism.

Although the ES has automatic leveling, there is a manual adjustment that can be made. However, this is not an on the fly adjustment. I guess it would be trial and error until you found a happy medium.

steviej

Yep, that was the "center point" I was referring to--it has to be painstakingly set by hand with the bubble levels/thumbscrews just like the housings in a non-levelling halogen headlamp. Definitely not an on the fly adjustment :D

Interestingly, the only Toyota product I've seen with manual power leveling HID lamps is the new Sienna XLE minivan. I do remember looking at 00-01 Infiniti Q45s on eBay and seeing the headlamp leveling switch.

Although the ES has automatic leveling, there is a manual adjustment that can be made. However, this is not an on the fly adjustment. I guess it would be trial and error until you found a happy medium.

steviej

No wires to run or holes to drill, that's sounds good Stevie. Is this something I can find in the repair manual. If so, I will be ordering one soon.

it should be in your owners manual.

But please note, the car is not moving when you make these adjustments.

In the 02 manual, it is on pg 332-333. CHECKING THE HEADLIGHT AIM (vehicles with discharge headlight) and Adjusting the vertical aiming.

steviej