1999 Ls400 Needs Left Catalytic Converter Replacement

CanadianLS400

Hi,

Dealer (Lexus of Riverside, CA, USA) estimated $3600 for the followings:

3 oxygen sensors, left catalytic converter, Y pipe, labor & tax.

Obviously, they recommended the right side catalytic converter replacement as well.

I really want to keep the car (for sentimental reason..., also it is kinda hard to sell a Canadian car in U.S.A).

Does anyone know any good non-dealer place I can take care of this?

I live in Redlands, CA, anywhere around LA is fine.

Thanks,

Q

1999 LS 400 GOLD 320,000 KM (200,000 MI), All options - Chrome Wheel

Hi,

Obviously, they recommended the right side catalytic converter replacement as well.

I really want to keep the car (for sentimental reason..., also it is kinda hard to sell a Canadian car in U.S.A).

Thanks,

Q

Call my mechanic, Mike at Lexology in Hermosa Beach, CA. (310) 579-0543. Tell him Barry with maroon LS400 sent you. I know he can surely do this work, but if South Bay is too far for you, he may be able to recommend an independent Lexus counterpart in your neck of the woods. I asssure you Mike is straight up, honest and will not jerk you around. Good luck!

And yet another option:

I remember an earlier post where a member cleaned out his car's cat using a chemical he bought from amazon.com. I think this was the product : http://www.amazon.com/Cataclean-Engine-Catalytic-Converter-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1271000314&sr=8-2

That one's $25 and there's a $7 one also :http://www.amazon.com/Catalytic-Converter-Cleaner-16-oz/dp/B000AMBO9O/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

I have not tried these out as I did not find it locally in Toronto.

Hi,

Thanks,

Q

And yet another option:

I remember an earlier post where a member cleaned out his car's cat using a chemical he bought from amazon.com. I think this was the product : http://www.amazon.com/Cataclean-Engine-Catalytic-Converter-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1271000314&sr=8-2

That one's $25 and there's a $7 one also :http://www.amazon.com/Catalytic-Converter-Cleaner-16-oz/dp/B000AMBO9O/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

I have not tried these out as I did not find it locally in Toronto.

At 200K I think it deserves new cats, no juice in the tank is going to do anything, if so everyone would be using it..

Hi,

Thanks,

Q

If the O2 sensors are bad, there is NO WAY the catalyst function can be confirmed or condemned. At most I'd have the pre-cat O2's changed and then take the car for a fast, hard drive. That will heat the convertors to clean them, and if all is well, they'll respond by functioning properly. They last forever usually - even survive a bad coil that heats them to red hot, and still function. It's worth a try, and it won't duplicate labour and if it works, great.

And don't fall for the "well this one's bad, so we should replace the other too". That's not a mechanic, that's a parts changer.....