Rx 350 Back Door Auto-locking When Closed

Yesterday I bought a 2007 RX 350 and have a question regarding the back door. It seems that each time it needs to be opened, it has to be unlocked by the remote. Once unlocked the door opens fine both by the manual switch on the door, and also by the automatic door open/close button inside of the car. However, once the door is shut, I can hear the door lock and it cannot be opened by the physical switch on the lid.

Holding down the automatic open button on the remote opens the door regardless of whether it is locked or not locked.

I checked the child-safety lock to be sure that wasn't the problem, but it was not enabled.

I read through the manual for the specific issue, but I can't seem to find anything about this, in fact one section reads "The back door will not lock automatically after it has been opened and then closed."

Could this be a setting with the security system? Is there a door-locking setting I am not understanding, is this the intended operation, or is there is problem with the car?

Help is MUCH APPRECIATED!

Assuming you're talking about the hatch, and not one of the back doors - the link below applies to a 2006, but I'm guessing there might be similar options available for the 2007 (via the dealer unfortunately). Have a look at #15. Is it possible the previous owner had it programmed from the standard (s) to the optional (o)? On my 2006, everything is set to standard (s), so to open the back door, I need to press the unlock button twice (first press unlocks driver's door, second press unlocks all the other doors). I can then open the hatch with the handle on the hatch itself, or I can press the power hatch button on the remote for .8 seconds and then the door power opens.

Someone else on here had a problem where his vehicle (bought used) was set to use the power open option on the rear hatch whether the remote button or the handle on the hatch was used. He parked in a low underground and every time he opened the hatch with the handle, it would hit the ceiling. He ended up going to the dealer and having the options below reset to standard.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&id=12983

Thanks for the reply, LEMON, it was helpful.

I guess what I was not understanding is that in order to open the back hatch, you have to unlock it each time. You can't just open it with the release like you would one of the doors when the vehicle is unlocked. Thanks for the tips on the customization!

I have a 2007 RX and have similar issues. It's a mixed back to be honest. Sometimes it will go and other times it won't. Have found a definitive explanation or scenario that persistently solves the problem. I'll try it soon and see where it takes me. If I find anything I'll report back.

Yes, PLEASE do let me know if you find a solution to the problem. I spoke with the dealership earlier today and I was told that it's performing as intended as the result of safety concerns. I asked if there was a way to customize the back hatch's behavior and he said there was not. But who knows... :)

They won't change any of that stuff. I asked them to disable the passenger seatbelt chime since I commute and keep a heavy work bag on the seat next to me, to which I was told it can't be done. Everything can be done, they don't want to do it.

Also, I find too that if it has rained or there is heavy precipitation the seals get stuck together and make it hard to open. And when I hit the button it will beep but never open. So I have to revert to manual. No biggie, but random things make for interesting situations especially when you have both hands full of heavy bags. Oh well.