Electrical Current In Coolant

Elton

Just replaced third radiator in 4 last 4 years on 2004 RX with 90,000 miles. Test for current reveals 0.5 volt in coolant and technician suggests that this is cause of radiator failures. Left rear axle came apart at outer joint 3 months ago and u-joint seizing up as of yesterday. Could current be flowing through axle and driveshaft causing these failures?? If so, how to get rid of this current? Any help much appreciated!

Just replaced third radiator in 4 last 4 years on 2004 RX with 90,000 miles. Test for current reveals 0.5 volt in coolant and technician suggests that this is cause of radiator failures. Left rear axle came apart at outer joint 3 months ago and u-joint seizing up as of yesterday. Could current be flowing through axle and driveshaft causing these failures?? If so, how to get rid of this current? Any help much appreciated!

Never heard of this before.

Google search turned up this: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/tech.htm

Elton- I doubt that the axle failure had anything to do with electrolysis. The 2 links that Maxsteel gave you pretty much points you in the right direction. Electrolysis is very real AND destructive! Any time I had to replace a radiator prematurely (I consider anything less that 10-12 years at earliest, if the cooling system has been WELL maintained) I would test for electrolysis any time a radiator shows signs of errosion from the inside (pinhole or pinholes). The aluminum radiators generally give less problem than the copper ones did. Good Luck!

Elton- I doubt that the axle failure had anything to do with electrolysis. The 2 links that Maxsteel gave you pretty much points you in the right direction. Electrolysis is very real AND destructive! Any time I had to replace a radiator prematurely (I consider anything less that 10-12 years at earliest, if the cooling system has been WELL maintained) I would test for electrolysis any time a radiator shows signs of errosion from the inside (pinhole or pinholes). The aluminum radiators generally give less problem than the copper ones did. Good Luck!

Thanks all for your comments and references to links re this matter. Am feeling a little better re axle and u-joint unrelated to the electrolysis!