Traction Control Software Failure (abs System)

michaelamiller

During cold conditions, slippery road, a slight application of the brakes caused my 2004 Lexus ES330 to skid into the side rail. No other car was involved, straight road. Has anyone else experienced similar failure of the ABS software? I am afraid to drive the car in similar conditions. Damage to car was extensive.

This just happened to me in my 2004 GX470. Straight road; snowy conditions, not speeding (37mph), and hit a pothole on the right front tire. We immeditaely went into a skid - traction control, or ABS, or whatever else kicked in and we shot sideways down the road and then into oncoming traffic, then sideways again into the right lane and continued to skid off the side of the road, hit a pole that was at least 20 feet off the road, and sent us back onto the road and then finally slowed down and I was able to regain control. I have been driving in Colorado weather - ski trips and all for 20 years and have had my share of skids and "driver error". This was entirely different. We shot back and forth across that highway and I had zero control over that vehicle. There was no beep indicator - I've heard that when it kicks in to get me up my slippery driveway. There was no warning - and it all started when we hit the pothole - no turning, braking or accelerating on my part. Luckily we came out with just a smashed up right rear bumper. The vehicle is at Lexus now and they are running full diagnostics on it. The loaner car they gave me has a button with the traction slide indicator on it and "OFF" - I am wondering if newer models enable you to disable the "take over when your are sliding on ice" feature?

BTW - brakes and tires were confirmed by dealer to be in good shape.

This just happened to me in my 2004 GX470. Straight road; snowy conditions, not speeding (37mph), and hit a pothole on the right front tire. We immeditaely went into a skid - traction control, or ABS, or whatever else kicked in and we shot sideways down the road and then into oncoming traffic, then sideways again into the right lane and continued to skid off the side of the road, hit a pole that was at least 20 feet off the road, and sent us back onto the road and then finally slowed down and I was able to regain control. I have been driving in Colorado weather - ski trips and all for 20 years and have had my share of skids and "driver error". This was entirely different. We shot back and forth across that highway and I had zero control over that vehicle. There was no beep indicator - I've heard that when it kicks in to get me up my slippery driveway. There was no warning - and it all started when we hit the pothole - no turning, braking or accelerating on my part. Luckily we came out with just a smashed up right rear bumper. The vehicle is at Lexus now and they are running full diagnostics on it. The loaner car they gave me has a button with the traction slide indicator on it and "OFF" - I am wondering if newer models enable you to disable the "take over when your are sliding on ice" feature?

BTW - brakes and tires were confirmed by dealer to be in good shape.

coloradokp, I am glad you and your passengers are ok. It sure sounds like one of your brake lock up, its either a mechanical or electronic failure. The new stability system off button is for drivers who are stuck or in some of the sport sedans, for driver who wants to drive pass the limit of the stability system. When you are sliding on ice, you really dont have time to push that VSC off button and if your VSC is working properly, you really dont want to shut it off anyways. Please let use know what the dealer find.