Wrecking Yard Strut Bar Bushings?

prix

Would it be insane to install strut bar bushings in good condition from a wrecking yard? These are the bushings that go at the end for the lateral arms in the front suspension. I can get them at the wrecking yard for $50 each, versus the cheapest OEM (new) price online of about $150 per bushing. I need one each for the right and left.

I'll also have to pay for about 2 hours labor. No, I am not a mechanic and cannot do this myself. My car has very resale value at this point, so I am loathe to invest $500+ on a single repair.

try www.parts.com and see if they have better price for OEM

Not sure which part you mean but stabalizer bar bushing is just $10.37 a side. The lower arm bushing is $36.79 a side.

try www.parts.com and see if they have better price for OEM

Not sure which part you mean but stabalizer bar bushing is just $10.37 a side. The lower arm bushing is $36.79 a side.

Here are the strut rods.. see photo

lexuspartsonline.com for $97ea

post-5365-1267907467_thumb.jpg

Would it be insane to install strut bar bushings in good condition from a wrecking yard? These are the bushings that go at the end for the lateral arms in the front suspension. I can get them at the wrecking yard for $50 each, versus the cheapest OEM (new) price online of about $150 per bushing. I need one each for the right and left.

I'll also have to pay for about 2 hours labor. No, I am not a mechanic and cannot do this myself. My car has very resale value at this point, so I am loathe to invest $500+ on a single repair.

Well, in short, it is not a good idea. The rubber part(bushing) ages even in the junk yard. Ozone and the elements cause cracks and deterioration of the bushing which are only detectable upon close examination or when your vehicle goes "clunk".

Especially if you are paying for labor, it is wise to only go with new. You can have new bushings pressing into the old bars if you like or go with a completely new unit.

I have a tutorial showing how to remove and replace the entire bar. Not hard.

Well, in short, it is not a good idea. The rubber part(bushing) ages even in the junk yard. Ozone and the elements cause cracks and deterioration of the bushing which are only detectable upon close examination or when your vehicle goes "clunk".

Especially if you are paying for labor, it is wise to only go with new. You can have new bushings pressing into the old bars if you like or go with a completely new unit.

My strut bars need replaced and could sure use the tutorial if you could post. Thanks

Thank you everyone. I will followup on all the suggestions. The mechanic who looked at the car described the bushings as 'lateral arm bushings' for the front strut. I have called a Lexus online shop through which I can get parts at a discount from retail, and they came in at little under $200 each. I also got quotes for polyurethane bushings (cheap) but have since decided I do not want to go that route. I also talked to a wrecking yard (desperate, I know, but was just curious). I agree, that's probably not a good idea. Ok, checking out your suggestions now...

Last year sometime, I heard a 'tearing' noise from the front, and it happened off and on over a short period of time -- several days, at the most a week -- and then the noise went away. In retrospect, I now think that might have been the sound of the bushings tearing (??). Though I am not sure as it did sound like metal tearing, not rubber. I have no idea what kind of sound bushings tearing would make, if any. The mechanic did describe them as 'torn'.

I looked at a schematic that one of the part companies sent me to show the lateral arm bushing, and it is positioned a few parts down/away from the air shocks, which I had replaced several years ago. I am wondering if the new air shocks would have had anything to do with the bushings in that area going out? Is there a connection?

My car has 'only' 95K or so miles on it, and I have heard of bushings lasting way longer than that (120K and up). I was told the bushings were 'sagging' about a year and a half ago, but that it was not an emergency repair so I forgot about it (literally). I started hearing clunking noises and noticed the car was driving differently over rough road (poorly, that is) and that's when I had it checked out they said the cause was torn front strut bushings.

Btw, fyi, the parts.com place gave me a good quote ($155 per), but someone on eBay is selling them for less ($140 per). Outside of wrecking yard parts or polyurethane, that is the lowest price I have found so far.

My strut bars need replaced and could sure use the tutorial if you could post. Thanks

this should help:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=strut+bushings

Dont know why anyone would quibble about $15. Parts.com seems reputable compared to "someone on ebay". I have read alot about this lately... Most are not happy with polyurethane and either wish they went with OEM or something like this: http://www.figsprops.com/oemstrut.htm

Also, I read in tutorial on that or another site, or in lexus shop manual that some make mistake of tightening bolts while car is in air. When lowered, bushings are stressed, then when you hit a bump the bushings tear. Instead, lower car to ground, THEN tighten bolts, so bushings have correct setting to travel UP and DOWN when you hit a bump without tearing.

Some geezer said check price of new sway bar with bushings already installed. Not much more cost and then simple unbolt, bolt on new sway bar, as opposed to changing bushings only.

Hey Prix, I am confused. I am mixing up sway bars/bushings and control arm bushings.

Kelly Blue Book yesterday said my 1994 LS400 with 135K miles was worth about $4,000, but there is a range.

Check out kbb.com

Also, most cars in junkyards have been in front or rear collision, so you will want to know where it came from.

You dont want parts off a front end collision, only from a rear collision. Cant tell from just the part itself.

Pull-A-Part is better.

Note: Dealer just replaced lower control arm bushings on wife's 02 LS430 at 90K service for $241.62 Parts, $720 Labor on Feb 2, 2010 in Oxnard.

Hey Prix, I am confused. I am mixing up sway bars/bushings and control arm bushings.

Kelly Blue Book yesterday said my 1994 LS400 with 135K miles was worth about $4,000, but there is a range.

Check out kbb.com

Also, most cars in junkyards have been in front or rear collision, so you will want to know where it came from.

You dont want parts off a front end collision, only from a rear collision. Cant tell from just the part itself.

Pull-A-Part is better.

Note: Dealer just replaced lower control arm bushings on wife's 02 LS430 at 90K service for $241.62 Parts, $720 Labor on Feb 2, 2010 in Oxnard.