Loud Screaming Noise In Cold Weather

samspony

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 IS 300 that I bought last April. It currently has 85,000 miles. Since the weather has cooled down I am hearing a loud screaming noise. It happens when outside temperature is below 45 degree F and speed is between 20-30 MPG. But once I drive the car for a few minutes, the noise goes away. I normally park the car outside and I start it in the morning and let it worm up. Therefore; whether the engine is cold or warm it does not mater I still hear the noise when the speed reaches 20-30 MPG. It can happen when I speed up or when I slow down. The car drives great, no issue at all. All fluids are in good condition and transmission shifts flawless. Could it be the transmission oil not warming up fast enough? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 IS 300 that I bought last April. It currently has 85,000 miles. Since the weather has cooled down I am hearing a loud screaming noise. It happens when outside temperature is below 45 degree F and speed is between 20-30 MPG. But once I drive the car for a few minutes, the noise goes away. I normally park the car outside and I start it in the morning and let it worm up. Therefore; whether the engine is cold or warm it does not mater I still hear the noise when the speed reaches 20-30 MPG. It can happen when I speed up or when I slow down. The car drives great, no issue at all. All fluids are in good condition and transmission shifts flawless. Could it be the transmission oil not warming up fast enough? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

You mean MPH I'm sure. Sounds ike belt squeal. Note the revs when you hear this noise. Now see if you can recreate this noise while parked by just revving the throttle. If you can, get someone to create this noise while you are in front of the engine. Then systematically spray a bit of water to every pulley the belt traverses. If the spray quiets the squealing, then you have located the noise. Next step would be to check the tension and tracking of the belt at that location.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys,

You mean MPH I'm sure. Sounds ike belt squeal. Note the revs when you hear this noise. Now see if you can recreate this noise while parked by just revving the throttle. If you can, get someone to create this noise while you are in front of the engine. Then systematically spray a bit of water to every pulley the belt traverses. If the spray quiets the squealing, then you have located the noise. Next step would be to check the tension and tracking of the belt at that location.

if its a griding noise it could be your breaks..best to get a sound clip for better opinions