Carfax Report - Transmission Service

sigtauenus

I have been reading about all the transmission issues with the early RX's, and have been wondering how I was getting along with mine at 146,000 miles with no problems.

It just occurred to me that when we bought the car used, the CARFAX report showed a transmission service at 96,000 miles (we bought it with 126,000 miles).

I thought at the the time that it was odd that a dealer would report a routine service like that, but didn't think anything of it.

How likely is it that due to the significant expense of a transmission rebuild that this car did indeed have a rebuilt transmission installed at 96,000 miles and hence the CARFAX notification?

If the "service" was performed at a Lexus dealership and you have a relationship with a Service Adviser, he/she could pull the service history of your RX300 and tell you what occurred at 96,000 miles. I have 145,000 miles on my RX300 and so far, so good with the transmission. I did service the transmission at ~80,000 miles (fluid/filter) and I have not abused the transmission and it continues to serve me just like it did when it was new. The automatic transmission on any vehicle is subject to have problems once you get past 100,000 but there are so many variables that go into that equation that generalization is problematic at best. My experience with automatic transmissions (my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee notwithstanding) has been that if you take care of them they most often will return the favor.