Brakes

have 3mm left on the front at 55K prob have them replaced at 60K service. should i use the dealer for $330 front only and they want $480 for the 60K service here in the pacific northwest. Did most of you have lexus do it, the toyota dealership? or your own mechanic.

Katz--$330?? That's cheap. I was just told that my 400h had 3mm left on the front @ 40,000 miles and that I'd need front pads and rotors at the nextr service--to the tune of $635!! I may go with the Toyata dealer who will do it for around $400 I hope using OEM parts. Lexus got me once on the $460+ service but not again. I now tell them only the BASIC service or I go locally. This is in Central NYS.

• 2 weeks later...
have 3mm left on the front at 55K prob have them replaced at 60K service. should i use the dealer for $330 front only and they want $480 for the 60K service here in the pacific northwest. Did most of you have lexus do it, the toyota dealership? or your own mechanic.

With only a modicum of mechanical aptitude you could throw on a new set of pads, taking about 20 minutes per side and be good to go another 50k miles. These cars' brake pads are incredibly easy to change. The only time I'll swap out front rotors is if there is any modulation in the steering wheel. The rotors basically fall off the car when changing pads (as long as corrosion between rotor and hub is minimal). For the half hour or so it will take the dealer to swap pads AND rotors $330 is a total rip-off.

I would recommend getting an estimate from a local mechanic or brake shop, if you know of one. There is absolutely no need to have this type work done by a dealer if you can find a reputable shop to do it cheaper.

thank you, regarding brads comment i have had friends suggest the same thing and i do have a local mechanic that services all my out of warranty ford econolines who is very good, i was only considering the dealer because of the regenerative system on the brakes however it looks like that is a totally separate system they dont touch during brake work anyway.

thank you, regarding brads comment i have had friends suggest the same thing and i do have a local mechanic that services all my out of warranty ford econolines who is very good, i was only considering the dealer because of the regenerative system on the brakes however it looks like that is a totally separate system they dont touch during brake work anyway.

Correct on the separate systems; I opened mine up not that long ago to fix a snapped off wheelstud (total fix time 15 minutes, BTW). There is no connection between the systems. Your local guy (or a good friend) will save you mucho dinero.

• 2 weeks later...

this may not necessarily relate or concern the previous question, but it's about my rx400h's brake making funny noises when i hold the brake from park to shift to drive. I noticed that when i floor the brakes before i shift to drive, it would make a creaking noise almost sounds like some sort of an animal under the car :/

any suggestions? thanks

I believe ours was doing the same thing for a while but no longer makes any noise. I'll have to pay close attention, though, the next time I drive it.

I believe ours was doing the same thing for a while but no longer makes any noise. I'll have to pay close attention, though, the next time I drive it.

so is it something i shouldn't be too worried about? I havent heard it either but thats because i havent been pushing it as hard as i was. ive been shifting it to drive while pressing the brakes very gently.

thanks

I would not worry about it. The next time you bring your vehicle in for any kind of service, ask the service advisor to have the technician listen to it. Just make it clear to them that you will not pay $40 for them to just listen to the noise. I've ben hearing something similar for the last year or so; other than the noise, there hasn't been any problem with the brakes.

I would not worry about it. The next time you bring your vehicle in for any kind of service, ask the service advisor to have the technician listen to it. Just make it clear to them that you will not pay $40 for them to just listen to the noise. I've ben hearing something similar for the last year or so; other than the noise, there hasn't been any problem with the brakes.

great advise! thank you.