Cold Weather Warm Up Time..

So, it's been around -10 to -14 (celsius) in my neck of the woods. I notice the 400h takes quite a while to blow decent heat. This is even with it running constantly (when I drive home from work, I'm on the highway in about 3 mins, where the ICE runs constantly. Do you all experience the same thing? I drove my wife's 2010 Equinox yesterday and it was at operating temp (per the dash gauge) much much sooner than the RX.

I plan to use my Scanguage II next time I drive to see what the coolant temp is while I'm in motion on the highway. My wife used to have a Beetle, and the thermostat was stuck slightly open. In the city the coolant ran at 190, but on the highway it dropped to 160-170. A new thermostat solved the problem and it ran at 190 all the time. Wondering if I might have the same problem with the RX (and the thermostat doesn't look too easy to replace in our vehicles)

Lexus dealers sell and install block heaters up there ... we don't get them here in the states. If you have a place to plug one in at work, it might help a little. People on Lexus forums have complained, however, that Lexus block heaters are fairly low wattage and not as effective as those sold for other makes. There are aftermarket in-line coolant heaters that can be installed in radiator hoses but those require an AC outlet too.

The only aspect of my last P.O.S. Mercedes that I parted with 20 years ago was its amazingly effective block heater -- gave almost instant heat from the heater after starting the car in zero F. temperatures. The surprising part was that I could usually find a place to plug it in -- shopping centers, parking garages, Colorado ski areas ... and no one ever messed with the extension cord or complained about my unauthorized use of a little electricity.

I haven't read all the manuals that came with my 2010 ES 350, but for my previous 2006 ES 330, I remember the manual said something about NOT running the car on Idle to warm up the car, but to DRIVE IT to warm up the car instead. Same with the 2010 350, right?

I installed a block heater already (on my own...bit of a PITA, but doable if you have a bit of mechanical know how). Unfortunately, this is at work where I don't have a handy outlet to plug into.

There's no idling involved. The quickest way to warm up any vehicle is to drive it, not let it sit idling for umpteen minutes. Also, when just idling, the differential, and tranny fluid to an extent aren't getting warmed up at all.

I my case, I start the vehicle, drive off within probably 15 seconds (just time to put seatbelt on) and almost immediately get on the highway. I would think with the highway driving it would warm up faster.

I'll be checking temps with my Scangauge tomorrow anyway.

We run the electric block heater (EBH) for about 2 hours when we run routine chores in the morning. The garage has gotten down as low at 10 degrees f. The heater will be MUCH warmer, much quicker. The EBH is the same for Lexus as it is many toyotas ... a one size fits all port manufactured right into the block. We even run the EBH in the summer & it makes the 1st 8 or 10 minutes of driving mpg's much better. You can also block your grill (like truckers do) to keep the ICE warmer in sub freezing winters.

Drove to work today with the Scangauge II hooked up (and didn't use the block heater). However, it was much warmer (-2 celsius vs -16 celsius a few days ago). On the highway at a steady 120km/h, the temp was 180-182ish.

Anyone else have a scangauge who can tell me what temp your engine is on the highway? I'll have to check my shop manual later to see what temp the thermostat is rated.

So, it's been around -10 to -14 (celsius) in my neck of the woods. I notice the 400h takes quite a while to blow decent heat.

Hi from Germany,

although driving a Highlander Hybrid you probably try to close the hood grill to avoid getting cold air to the cooler. I did that on both my Prius I '2003 and HH'08 without havng problems also on hot days. This will reduce warming up time significantly. Also mounting an underbody aluminum plate keeps engine and oil pan warmer and clean.

HyBird

post-78119-1265465013_thumb.jpg

post-78119-1265465027_thumb.jpg