Replacement Arm Rests 2000 Rx300

sigtauenus

Are there any options for leather arm rests for the 2000 RX300? My wife's are worn through on the driver side, and besides being ugly, its uncomfortable holding your arm against the torn leather.

I saw replacements on the order of $400 at mylexparts.

I have thought about pulling them off and switching sides (so the torn top of the driver side would be on the bottom of the passenger side and vice versa) although I've noticed the shape is slightly different, ie, not perfectly symmetrical. This would make it comfortable for the ride and we would only see the ugly tear with the arm rest in the up position.

Suggestions?

You can't swap the armrests, as the each have a "pin" that controls movement that's guided by a panel in the seat, and each is shaped differently.

Your best bet is to find a used seat and ask for the armrests to be taken off.

You can pry off the round plastic piece at the pivot (it's friction fit) and use a socket wrench (not sure about the size) to remove the bolt that's holding it to the seat itself. Just be careful removing the bolt as there are a series of washers that are special.

Yep, your best best would be a good local upholstery shop, one that does car interiors and convertible tops. They'll be able to source some leather that comes pretty darn close in color and texture to your 10-year-old car.... My guess would be less than $100 to do both sides, which you may want to consider for matching purposes even though I'm sure your passenger-side arm rest is fine....

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, your best best would be a good local upholstery shop, one that does car interiors and convertible tops. They'll be able to source some leather that comes pretty darn close in color and texture to your 10-year-old car.... My guess would be less than $100 to do both sides, which you may want to consider for matching purposes even though I'm sure your passenger-side arm rest is fine....

As a follow up, I used a upholstery shop in Norfolk and got both arm rests done for $100 cash. Very easy fix and took care of an annoyingly unsightly and uncomfortable problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.