Connector For Rear Oxygen Sensor

ls400_1999

Hi all,

I am tired of looking at the CEL (code P430: passenger CAT), I am thinking about bying the O2 simulator to shut this light off. it is OFF and ON for the past 2 months. However I donlt want to ruin the exiting one (beside, it is a dog to take this cable off) so I am looking for a place just to buy the butt-type connector for the read O2 sensor only. Any one have any idea where?

Also, my mechanic told me there is a hole in the Y pipe after the sensor (where two CAT meets) and he wants to replace it for $600. Will this also shut off the code if I replace this Y type pipe?

My car is LS400 1999 with 106K miles.

Thanks,

Tony

If there's a hole in the Y pipe, that would easily trip the O2 sensor closest to it.

Replacing the Y pipe will require breaking hardware loose that's probably corroded, thus the $600 he wants, but that's still ridiculous. Older exhaust bolts always break so he's preparing for it. But if it truly is just a 'hole', I'd weld it shut, for a price of maybe $50 at a competent muffler shop.

If there's a hole in the Y pipe, that would easily trip the O2 sensor closest to it.

Replacing the Y pipe will require breaking hardware loose that's probably corroded, thus the $600 he wants, but that's still ridiculous. Older exhaust bolts always break so he's preparing for it. But if it truly is just a 'hole', I'd weld it shut, for a price of maybe $50 at a competent muffler shop.

Maybe try wrapping the hole with some of that tailpipe tape sealer just as an experiment. If the CEL goes away then you have some confidence fixing the pipe will cure the problem. As a minimum it would save you spending $600 only to find something else is also going wrong.