Loud Creaking Noise

prix

I noticed this a month or so ago -- some days it's louder than others, but the one thing I can say for sure is that the problem is not going away. It's a loud creaking (or sometimes not so loud) noise on turns. Sometimes it sounds like a "pop". Pop and creaking about sums it up. I haven't tested out if it happens on both right and left turns, but I believe it does. What could be causing this?

My mechanic is a good hour's drive away. I am concerned that I waited too long and the car may no longer be safe to drive on the freeway to get to him. Is the axle going to fall off? I don't hear much if I am driving straight ahead. I notice it more at low, around town driving where I have the window down and can hear the creaks on slow turns. Thanks in advance for any input, suggestions.

Whatever it is, I am looking for the cheapest fix (i.e., can I replace a bearing or a bushing, not the whole part).

I had an intermittent "popping" sound from the steering when making turns. Changing the power steering fluid stopped it from making this noise.

No, this has nothing to do with fluids. It's definitely metal to metal (somehow). I have looked around and find other saying 'ball joint', bushings, etc. Someone else mentioned control arms, so I will have to have this all checked out. I had the front struts replaced in 2000 and I haven't put THAT many miles on the car since then -- maybe 45K. How long are they supposed to last? I would think a good long while, as I have seen other posts saying that all that front end suspension stuff usually needs replacing at 200K. I am nowhere near 200K (only at 93K) and the front struts have already been replaced once. I think it's more likely the ball joints (or CV?). Not sure of those are two different animals.

My LS430 occasionally makes noise from the sway bar bushing in the front. Sounds like a crunching noise; usually when it's cold out and I turn the wheel during parking or tight turns. Last time I had the car in the shop they lubricated the bushing (or the pad I can't remember) and it disappeared. Not sure if the LS400 has the same design but worth a look.

My LS430 occasionally makes noise from the sway bar bushing in the front. Sounds like a crunching noise; usually when it's cold out and I turn the wheel during parking or tight turns. Last time I had the car in the shop they lubricated the bushing (or the pad I can't remember) and it disappeared. Not sure if the LS400 has the same design but worth a look.

Ok, thanks. Definitely will have that checked out.

Ok, thanks. Definitely will have that checked out.

I bought LS430-2002 w/ 70K miles to replace my LS430 total lost three months ago .It's winter and cold now.Every morning, when I start engine, there is a scary, grinding noise from engine which last until

engine warmed up then dissappeared and car back to normal, quiet ,charm the way it should be for a LS430. Checked and replaced all fluid, noise still there every morning. In the past I have LS400 91.94.97, RX300-2000 ,RX330-2004 and 430-2001, never a have that experience?

Any idea , explanation? Your advise will be very appreciated.

I had an intermittent "popping" sound from the steering when making turns. Changing the power steering fluid stopped it from making this noise.

No, this has nothing to do with fluids. It's definitely metal to metal (somehow). I have looked around and find other saying 'ball joint', bushings, etc. Someone else mentioned control arms, so I will have to have this all checked out. I had the front struts replaced in 2000 and I haven't put THAT many miles on the car since then -- maybe 45K. How long are they supposed to last? I would think a good long while, as I have seen other posts saying that all that front end suspension stuff usually needs replacing at 200K. I am nowhere near 200K (only at 93K) and the front struts have already been replaced once. I think it's more likely the ball joints (or CV?). Not sure of those are two different animals.

If you don't want to check it out, that's fine with me. I will say that my "popping" could be felt throughout the entire car and through the steering wheel, and it turned out to be the fluid that needed changing.

If you don't want to check it out, that's fine with me. I will say that my "popping" could be felt throughout the entire car and through the steering wheel, and it turned out to be the fluid that needed changing.

How bizarre (that fluid could do this). I believe you. This is a lot more creaking sound than popping. I don't feel anything in the steering wheel, floor board, or the car. It's a noise, and only hear it on turns for the most part (I might a little creak going over a bump). It's a loud creaking noise that I hear when it's cold out. Today -- nice weather -- and on the very day I had an appointment to have my mechanic listen to it, it's won't make the noise. I have to wait for cold weather I guess. Without looking at it at all, it's a complete guess, but going by the fact that it only happens when it's cold, he's thinking worn bushings. I'll mention your experience to see if he wants to check that out. Thanks.

Yes, if it's creaking only when very cold outside, it's probably worn bushings. I'd probably say worn sway bar bushings. The upper strut mounts could also be the culprit, although that causes more of a creak when going over dips. Best of luck. Let us know what you find!

Yes, if it's creaking only when very cold outside, it's probably worn bushings. I'd probably say worn sway bar bushings. The upper strut mounts could also be the culprit, although that causes more of a creak when going over dips. Best of luck. Let us know what you find!

Is this something a good mechanic will be able to diagnose just by eyeballing it up on the rack? I looked up bushings today (have no idea...I do not know a lot about cars) and see I could easily spend quite a bit on "guesswork" for parts. If bushings can be replaced separately (from more expensive parts like control arms?) and with not too much labor, I would be less worried. If I have to replace control arms along with bushings...that will be expensive. What am I looking at $-wise if sway bar bushings or upper strut mounts? Any ideas? Maybe I will luck out and it will just need some grease. Ha ha. Thanks in advance for any info.

I noticed this a month or so ago -- some days it's louder than others, but the one thing I can say for sure is that the problem is not going away. It's a loud creaking (or sometimes not so loud) noise on turns. Sometimes it sounds like a "pop". Pop and creaking about sums it up. I haven't tested out if it happens on both right and left turns, but I believe it does. What could be causing this?

My mechanic is a good hour's drive away. I am concerned that I waited too long and the car may no longer be safe to drive on the freeway to get to him. Is the axle going to fall off? I don't hear much if I am driving straight ahead. I notice it more at low, around town driving where I have the window down and can hear the creaks on slow turns. Thanks in advance for any input, suggestions.

Whatever it is, I am looking for the cheapest fix (i.e., can I replace a bearing or a bushing, not the whole part).

Suspect a worn bush in the front suspension if your noise is coming from the front, maybe the upper control arm ball joints. Easy to check , just raise and remove the front wheels and put a pry bar between the upper control arm and the steering spindle and work it up and down to judge free play (wear). Pretty easy to correct by just popping out the upper ball joint and removing the bolts in the inner mounts of the upper control arm and removing it . A replacement control arm/ball joint assembly will correct the loose, noisy condition in this area. This can be accomplished without removing the strut or spring.

It's best to replace these in pairs (both right and left) even if only one is badly worn and doing a four wheel alignment.

No, upper strut mounts are not visible without dis-assembly. It was a pain in the butt to track down my creaking sound, but it didn't seem to happen more on turns than on the straights.

Thanks. That's the problem with having a mechanic who is some distance away. I really need him to get it right the first time, and that may not be realistic given all the possible causes of the noise. Maybe I better look harder for someone local.

Suspect a worn bush in the front suspension if your noise is coming from the front, maybe the upper control arm ball joints. Easy to check , just raise and remove the front wheels and put a pry bar between the upper control arm and the steering spindle and work it up and down to judge free play (wear). Pretty easy to correct by just popping out the upper ball joint and removing the bolts in the inner mounts of the upper control arm and removing it . A replacement control arm/ball joint assembly will correct the loose, noisy condition in this area. This can be accomplished without removing the strut or spring.

It's best to replace these in pairs (both right and left) even if only one is badly worn and doing a four wheel alignment.

Hmmm...I may be on to something. I have air shocks and usually keep the height set to 'high'. Yesterday, before going through the car wash, I put the height back to 'normal', as I usually do (to keep less of the high pressure spray from getting in the wheel area). After I left the car wash, I forgot to put the setting back on 'high'. After I got home, I realized I hadn't heard any noise on turns. This morning, I went out early for a short drive (still slightly cold out) and also didn't hear much on turns (height setting is still on 'normal'). I expected to hear something on the theory that if it's a bushing, it acts differently in colder weather. Maybe it wasn't cold 'enough', I don't know. I'm not yet saying there is a correlation, but if I put the setting back on high and the noise kicks back in, then that's a possiblity and should be checked out.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I had the car checked out, and the ball joints are fine. Looks like the front strut rod bushings are worn. There was also 'play' in the front left wheel due to a shot tie rod end. He said that part does not go out that often, and it was only on one side. So that piece was replaced, then every area was lubed up. On the long drive home, I still heard the creaking noise (very faint in comparison to what it was before) but only once, when going downhill on a winding road. The main thing is that he didn't see anything dangerous.

I have also had a clunking noise from the front right tire area for the past year (low speed, going over potholes), and my guess is that noise will go away once the strut rod bushings are replaced. One thing at a time.

I found upper control arms for $199 at Arnott Industries, in case anyone is interested. Best deal ever. If they made lower control arms, I would buy those in a heartbeat. But noooo, they only make the uppers.

This is an update to the 'update'. :-)

Took the car out this AM, up into a park area where there are lots of curvy turns and steep hills. The creak is still there, same as ever. For some reason, we just didn't hear it yesterday (me and the mechanic on the test drive. I think it was because even though he was making sharp turns during the test drive, it was on fairly level ground). If I am headed down a steep hill, as I was this morning, then turn fairly sharply on a curve, I can hear it same as ever. So replacing the tie rod did not make any difference, at least on that issue. I think he's going to next replace the front strut rod lateral arm bushings.

Update: I had the car checked out, and the ball joints are fine. Looks like the front strut rod bushings are worn. There was also 'play' in the front left wheel due to a shot tie rod end. He said that part does not go out that often, and it was only on one side. So that piece was replaced, then every area was lubed up. On the long drive home, I still heard the creaking noise (very faint in comparison to what it was before) but only once, when going downhill on a winding road. The main thing is that he didn't see anything dangerous.

I have also had a clunking noise from the front right tire area for the past year (low speed, going over potholes), and my guess is that noise will go away once the strut rod bushings are replaced. One thing at a time.

I found upper control arms for $199 at Arnott Industries, in case anyone is interested. Best deal ever. If they made lower control arms, I would buy those in a heartbeat. But noooo, they only make the uppers.