Jerking In Reverse When It's Cold

Hi there

I just got the RX450h and am loving it, except for one thing. When the car is cold and it's cold out (I live in Vermont) I put the car in reverse and it's almost like the car is stuck on something and can't quite get over it. I just give it a little more gas and then it's fine. The car runs great otherwise.

Thoughts?

Josie

Hello, Josie and congratulations on joining the hybrid club.

When you do this, are you on an incline? Is there snow or gravel underneath the tires. If the answer to question number two is "no", then I would recommend that you mention this to your service advisor, the next time you bring your vehicle to the dealership. I've never experienced this with my 400h, but then again it never gets colder than 40F here in San Diego. Still, this type of behavior should not happen on dry ground, IMO.

Dave

Hello, Josie and congratulations on joining the hybrid club.

When you do this, are you on an incline? Is there snow or gravel underneath the tires. If the answer to question number two is "no", then I would recommend that you mention this to your service advisor, the next time you bring your vehicle to the dealership. I've never experienced this with my 400h, but then again it never gets colder than 40F here in San Diego. Still, this type of behavior should not happen on dry ground, IMO.

Dave

First, apologies to all for my many replies. I'm new and I have understood how replying works.

So, no, never on an incline and yes to snow and sometimes gravel underneath the car. It really feels like the wheels are frozen to the ground, if that makes any sense.

Thank again,

Josie

Josie,

I answered your IM but essentially, your vehicle "brain" will sense slip and back off power until traction is gained, often by the transfer of motion to the opposite wheel. We know for certain that having good snow tires makes a huge difference when it comes to traction on snow, especially for vehicles that employ a type of traction control that cannot be switched off.

I'd say that what you are experiencing is perfectly normal, especially if you have all-season tires from the factory.

Dave

What I mean is did you use the parking brake when you parked the car? Now you go to leave, you take it off, but it's frozen and releases when you give it a bit of gas? Just thinking this because you're saying it happens when it's cold.

What I mean is did you use the parking brake when you parked the car? Now you go to leave, you take it off, but it's frozen and releases when you give it a bit of gas? Just thinking this because you're saying it happens when it's cold.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. It was below zero when this happened. And the day before all this started I had gone to the car wash and I swear that everything started after that.

Thanks to all for the good advice,

Josie

I was actually going to ask if you'd been through a car wash before this happened!!!

A lot of those automatic car washes spray under the car as you go through. When it's freezing out, the water can get into the cables and/or the parking brake drum (assuming the 350 still uses the small drum in the disc for the parking brake) and freeze up.

It's good to see that you actually use the parking brake though. Most people don't.

I was actually going to ask if you'd been through a car wash before this happened!!!

A lot of those automatic car washes spray under the car as you go through. When it's freezing out, the water can get into the cables and/or the parking brake drum (assuming the 350 still uses the small drum in the disc for the parking brake) and freeze up.

It's good to see that you actually use the parking brake though. Most people don't.

The car wash guys actually spent what seemed like an inordinate amount of time spraying the bottom of the car. I won't go anymore unless it's well above freezing. I love the parking brake!

Ah, that makes perfect sense. It was below zero when this happened. And the day before all this started I had gone to the car wash and I swear that everything started after that.

Thanks to all for the good advice,

Josie

I guess you're better off than I was when I lived in CT. If I washed my car during cold Winter months, on the following morning, I couldn't unlock the door. I had to pour hot water on it and quickly insert and turn the key. Those were the days!

Josie,

As others stated, it was probably a combination of the car wash and very cold temperature causing the parking brake to freeze up. No need for concern unless it keeps doing it. If it does, take it to the dealer.