Tail Light Warning

leftfooter

Hi There,

I've just replaced my driver side tail light (the old lens was cracked & wouldn't pass Texas inspection because of it). The new tail light works perfectly, the only thing is that the tail light warning light is always on. The warning I'm talking about is an amber light in the shape of the car from an aerial view, with 3 concave bars where the tail lights are located. Anyone got an idea why this is coming on? I would like to get it off of there before I bring it back in for inspection, don't want to take the risk they'll fail me again.

Thanks in advance.

Obvious thing to check is are all the lights at the rear working? If you replaced any bulbs are they the correct type, check the bulb holder contacts and make sure the multiplug to the light cluster is fitted correctly.

Hey Lefty, double check that you still don't have a bad bulb. I had the same thing going on with mine. I finally figured it out. There are 2 brake like bulbs on each side, and it helps to have some one inside the car trying all the different things, blinkers, running lights, flashers. Look close because its easy to miss one. This is your problem. If all the circuits are complete on your tail light sockets the warning bulb would not light up on your instrament cluster. The 1156 bulbs are the single filament bulbs for the running lights. The 1157 have 2 filaments and they are for the brake light and blinkers. You could very well have a bad 1157 that only has 1 filament working. Like Steve said double check that you have the correct bulbs in the correct sockets. I don't think you can switch them though the way the sockets are made. Just look at the bottom of the bulbs and you will see the 1156's just have the lead mound in the center. The 1157's have 2 lead mounds. Check it out