2000 Es300 Transmission Replacement

marty_h

I got the news today that my 2000 ES300 needs a new transmission. I purchased the car new, and it has about 125,000 miles on it. Only other major problem was a rear main seal replacement done by Lexus at about 74,000 miles.

The problem is that once the transmission “warms up”, it’s as if it’s disengaged; the engine RPMs increase, but there is very little or no power to the drive wheels. You can move the selector between gears (park, reverse, drive) but it doesn’t seem to engage.

The shop has flushed the transmission twice hoping this would help. It apparently seems to operate normally until it “warms up”… 20-30 freeway miles. No warning lights or other signals occur.

Any similar experiences or thoughts? Anyone had experience with a transmission for one of the national rebuilders, such as Jasper?

You might just have a bad speed sensor. There are two on the top of the transmission you could try swapping them. By the way the flush was probably a very bad thing to due. many have lost there trannys after a flush...

You might just have a bad speed sensor. There are two on the top of the transmission you could try swapping them. By the way the flush was probably a very bad thing to due. many have lost there trannys after a flush...

Thanks for the info lenore. Couple of questions...wouldn't the bad speed sensor show on the error codes? When you say swapp them, do you mean just switch the two of them and see if the symptoms remain the same? Why is flushing a bad thing to do? Thanks again.

If the sensors are starting to go bad, you might not see the codes yet.

Your tranny has gotten used to the old fluid. The new fluid is sort of like detergent and can eat away the seals, gaskets and etc.

By the way, I find it very odd that you need a rear main seal replacement at 74K miles. It tells me the oil changes were not done frequent enough or some odd things happened.

If you do need a rebuilt, make sure they know which tranny you have. For that particular year, there happens to be two different tranny. I know because I had my tranny rebuilt at 118K miles.