Had Throttle Body Cleaned - What A Change! Also, My Power Steerin

90LS400Lexus

If MAF isn't working then neither is O2 sensors as they work together in unison. O2 sensors are the feedback element and MAF is the input sensor. These feed signals to ECU (along with a few others) to determine proper fuel air mix. If your MAF is bad then you are running in open loop limp mode and performance will be horrible. Its meant only to work well enough to get you to a service place. You must have check engine light on plus error codes in the log.

Hey 90LS400Lexus, did you ever get your new steering rack solenoid installed to see if that would fix the intermittent power steering problem?

One alternative fluid you might try is genuine Honda Power Steering Fluid. I know a Toyota technician who uses it in his Corolla's power steering system with good results.

Yes, thanks. We replaced it one with a used one from a 1994 LS400 (thanks to one of our members Bill on here). Had to change the electrical plugs though because the 1994 is different than the 1991 for some reason. Iy may have helped, may not have, because I still occasionally have the problem. Initially, after we changed it, there was NO change at all, but I know my old one was not powering up and this other one was.

I later took the PS reservoir off and cleaned the screen in the bottom as I was told that could be the problem. I did and while it did look a little dirty, it was not that bad. Reinstalled and again, NO change, but the next evening, it started working occasionally. Now its working more often than it was before... maybe its working the air out or something. Yesterday it was really working good... light as a feather and tonight it was working alot better, but there were a couple of moments it was not as easy as it was. I may be selling the car anyway very soon, so I am not too concerned about it. I have done all I can do... well, at least all I can afford to do. ;)

The mechanic that did my throttle body said I should run Mopar transmission fluid in it... he said he had a ES300 that had PS woes and it cured his problem. :huh:

Thanks for the tip on the Honda fluid... I will relay that to the new owner if I sell it.

Only way to clean it is to take apart and use some cleaner, rags, and some tools to scrape the crud off. No magic elixir in the gas tank or air intake will clean this stuff. It’s caked on real hard. A good measure of elbow grease is required. Plan a few hours if doing it yourself.

Definitely! I stayed in the shop while the man cleaned my throttle body and it was bad. The red cloths were turning black! I could hear it... it sounded like honey being stirred. He actually first sprayed some brake parts cleaner on the cloth, then resorted to some "2+2" stuff... it was called something else, like "gum cutter"? It really started getting it he said. Must have since its running perfectly now. Makes me sad now that I am selling it that its running so good after doing that hesitation and lurching it had the past two years I have owned it. <_<

btw - the CE never came on again... maybe it was adjusting itself or something.

If you clean the TB yourself, spray some carb cleaner or seafoam into the intake mainfold while the TB is off. I sprayed about 3/4 of a can of carb cleaner in there and used a rag on a stick to wipe as much of that cra pout of there as I could. It wasn't nearly as clean as I got the TB itself, but it looked alot better.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a '95 ls 400 w/ 131k and my ps has been intermittent as well. However, I found what will cause it to go on & off. If I bring the car above 5,000 rpm's under heavy exeleration, this will disable/enable the power steering.

Not sure if this is related, but I am looking to see if this might be a vacuum valve problem that????

Thanks... I should have updated... my power steering is fixed.. after a combination of the replacement rack solenoid, pump screen cleaning and about a week of driving, the power assist came back full steam and its been fine ever since. :)

Car is getting a new home on Wednesday. I already miss it, but its for the best.

I have a '95 ls 400 w/ 131k and my ps has been intermittent as well. However, I found what will cause it to go on & off. If I bring the car above 5,000 rpm's under heavy exeleration, this will disable/enable the power steering.

Not sure if this is related, but I am looking to see if this might be a vacuum valve problem that????