Ev

I read on the prius board a company called Enginer (sic) selling a realtively in

expensive aux battery pack to boost the MPG and add more range in their "EV" mode.

Since ours don't have a purely EV mode would this boost the MPG in hybrid mode?

Any tech or engineer minded people look into this or am I the only one?

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-phev-plu...nformation.html

I read on the prius board a company called Enginer (sic) selling a realtively in

expensive aux battery pack to boost the MPG and add more range in their "EV" mode.

I've been keeping my eye out for a battery pack for the RX but there is nothing in the offing at this point. Adding more batteries would tend extend the EV-only mode of operation but would also require a longer time to charge.

The benefits are only realized with a new controller that maximizes the added storage. Since the RX uses a completely different controller than the Prius, that would be a new part that has to be invented/programed specfically for the RX, and likely different for the 2010 models.

The concept used by the enginer unit is as you said to extend the abiltity of the traction battery by

transferring power to the traction battery when needed.

It is meant to be recharged at home through the grid however thereby increasing the efficiency.

The results posted on the prius chat seem impressive although as stated they have a pure EV mode

available by a switch hack, as I undertand it.

I've been keeping my eye out for a battery pack for the RX but there is nothing in the offing at this point. Adding more batteries would tend extend the EV-only mode of operation but would also require a longer time to charge.

The benefits are only realized with a new controller that maximizes the added storage. Since the RX uses a completely different controller than the Prius, that would be a new part that has to be invented/programed specfically for the RX, and likely different for the 2010 models.