2010 Rx350

bctucson

Installed a hitch on '10 RX for bike carrier and small motorcycle trailer. Bought the pigtail for the trailer lights from Lexus along with the light controller. The kicker is, no one knows where the light controller is located, the parts people thought that when the part came in they could locate it on the parts fiche but no luck. Anyone have any info on location of light controller?

The towing converter box is in the rear cargo area, passenger side, behind side trim panel. The part is shown in the parts catalog but there seems to be a bug since it's not identified in the catalog. It's just the picture but no part number or description attached to it. If the converter box is like the earlier RX330/350 models, there were two different boxes. One for vehicles with the towing option (TO) or without. If a hitch was installed on the RX without the TO option, the brake lights on the trailer would not work. The converter box needed to changed in order for the brake lights to work.

Unfortunately, due to this catalog bug I can't tell if there is more than one box. I hope your RX came with the TO option.

The towing converter box is in the rear cargo area, passenger side, behind side trim panel. The part is shown in the parts catalog but there seems to be a bug since it's not identified in the catalog. It's just the picture but no part number or description attached to it. If the converter box is like the earlier RX330/350 models, there were two different boxes. One for vehicles with the towing option (TO) or without. If a hitch was installed on the RX without the TO option, the brake lights on the trailer would not work. The converter box needed to changed in order for the brake lights to work.

Unfortunately, due to this catalog bug I can't tell if there is more than one box. I hope your RX came with the TO option.

I will look behind the trim panel. Only the all wheel drive is available with TO this year and mine is a front wheel drive. I have the correct convertor box, just don't know where to put it! Was going to pay the dealer until they told me they weren't sure where it goes either so thought I would try it myself instead of paying the $90hr shop fee. Thanks for the info.

I will look behind the trim panel. Only the all wheel drive is available with TO this year and mine is a front wheel drive. I have the correct convertor box, just don't know where to put it! Was going to pay the dealer until they told me they weren't sure where it goes either so thought I would try it myself instead of paying the $90hr shop fee. Thanks for the info.

Try another dealer for the install if you can. Without the tow option package the install is a nightmare according to others on this site. Don't know personally.

The other issue is the greatly reduced tow capacity for non-TO vehicles. From what you list as being towed it shouldn't be a problem but don't be tempted to push it.

Try another dealer for the install if you can. Without the tow option package the install is a nightmare according to others on this site. Don't know personally.

The other issue is the greatly reduced tow capacity for non-TO vehicles. From what you list as being towed it shouldn't be a problem but don't be tempted to push it.

The 2010's are different than previous generations as far as towing, there is a receptacle under the car for a trailer light pigtail so it just plugs right in. The towing capacities are just less than a Camry/ES350. The dealer knows that the light controller is in a different location than previous, he just has not been able to discover where it goes. You can still buy a tow kit from lexus that includes the hitch, pigtail and controller although they suggest install on awd for some reason. I will figure this out this weekend and post my results.