Steering Column Noise Following Drivebelt Replacement

Tybodaddy

First, I’m new to the board and a BIG thank you to those posting how to’s. I just programmed two keys!

Now for the problem. I just had the drive belts replaced on an ’02 RX300 with 85K on it. As I was preparing to leave the dealership (Classic Toyota, Waukegan IL) I heard a rattling sound coming from the steering column as I turned. The sound occurs when I turn left or right, but is more pronounced when turning left.

The service guy and the tech who installed the belts acknowledged the sound was not present when I brought it in, but deny there is any connection between the service and this new problem.

First, am I justified in thinking the belt replacement caused the sound – not just a coincidence? Second, what might that sound be and what is involved in repair. It sounds like a nut is rattling/scraping inside the steering column (by the steering wheel not at the floorboard).

Help & thanks.

Doesn't seem possible for there to be ANY connection between changing the belts and a noise in the steering column (especially up by the steering wheel). That being said, the only way to know for sure that it is strictly coincidental rather than something they may have done is to find out what the noise actually is. Then you'll know if it's their responsibility or not. A lot of things happen to a car when it's in a shop, but I wouldn't accuse them of being responsible unless you determine that it was actually something they did, because it is so far removed from anything to do with the drive belts.

I disagree. If the belt set-up is identical to our previous 2000 RX300 and both belts were indeed changed, one of those belts is the power steering belt. When tension was released on that original power steering belt to change it, anything could happen in the power steering assembly. Parts could have become dislodged, loose bolts could have fallen out, etc. I'm not saying that this is definintely the case. I'm just saying that anything is possible....

Doesn't seem possible for there to be ANY connection between changing the belts and a noise in the steering column (especially up by the steering wheel). That being said, the only way to know for sure that it is strictly coincidental rather than something they may have done is to find out what the noise actually is. Then you'll know if it's their responsibility or not. A lot of things happen to a car when it's in a shop, but I wouldn't accuse them of being responsible unless you determine that it was actually something they did, because it is so far removed from anything to do with the drive belts.

Code58, if you or any members want to hear the problem I have a mp3 attached here. The whining sound is not me ;) , it occurs as I turn the wheel, engine on, without moving forward or backwards. I took the covers of the steering column and it seems the sound is coming from the point where the wheel meets the column in the circular shaped, aluminum colored thingies (kinda' like gears working as bearings??". The sound is more like loose change in a glass jar. Also I should note that steering seems stiffer than before the drive belts were installed. Does anyone have a shop manual page regarding the connection of steering wheel to column?

steering_sound.mp3

Sorry Tybo- Just noticed the reply and listened to the sound. I still think it is coincidental that you have that noise, but ANYTHING is possible. Since it is so far removed from where they changed the belts, I still think it would have to be extremely remote that they would have done anything in the steering wheel to column area. What it sounds like to me is the contacts that take the signal from whatever controls there are on the steering wheel (and possibly air bag also) yo where ever they need to connect to. The contacts are normally brass and have a small amount of grease on them and when that grease dries up, the contacts wear and make noise. The wheel needs to be removed and the contacts cleaned and regreased (if the contacts aren't worn too badly) with a grease that will not inhibit the transfer of the electrical current of those signals. DO NOT do this yourself unless you are completely knowledgeable about this type of operation and have the proper equipment to do it. NEVER work around the air bags without disconnecting the battery and letting the AB system drain of ANY electrical current it may temporarily store. (it does) This may not be what it is, but from the recording that's what it sounds like to me.

Sorry Tybo- Just noticed the reply and listened to the sound. I still think it is coincidental that you have that noise, but ANYTHING is possible. Since it is so far removed from where they changed the belts, I still think it would have to be extremely remote that they would have done anything in the steering wheel to column area. What it sounds like to me is the contacts that take the signal from whatever controls there are on the steering wheel (and possibly air bag also) yo where ever they need to connect to. The contacts are normally brass and have a small amount of grease on them and when that grease dries up, the contacts wear and make noise. The wheel needs to be removed and the contacts cleaned and regreased (if the contacts aren't worn too badly) with a grease that will not inhibit the transfer of the electrical current of those signals. DO NOT do this yourself unless you are completely knowledgeable about this type of operation and have the proper equipment to do it. NEVER work around the air bags without disconnecting the battery and letting the AB system drain of ANY electrical current it may temporarily store. (it does) This may not be what it is, but from the recording that's what it sounds like to me.

Thanks for the fair warning. And as Dirty Harry says "A man's gotta' know his limitations". I don't play with my airbag! The only additional diagnostic info I could provide is all steering based switches work, no airbag warning light issues, and the the steering seemed harder (more resistance) after the belts were installed.

I'll pose something more solvable later. :D

TBD- I've listened to the MP3 about a dozen more times and am assuming you have listened to it from this site. Wondering if it sounds the same in real life as it does in the MP3. You characterize it as a whining sound. On the recording I would describe it as a scratching sound. It does sound a little like change in a glass jar, but still more scratchy to me. Tough to diagnose even with the recording. A little like a bare dry branch scratching against a window.