Engine Block Heater

Ok First off I am new here

My wife and I just purchased a 2006 rx400h

with 34000 miles. So far i after 2 days an

50 miles I am truly amazed. 30 mpg mixed, gentle driving.

We also have a porsche 911 (83)

a 88 BMW 325 convertible, and a Ford truck.

I work on my vehicles and am a mechanic and tech head.

So here's the question.

With the lead acid battery at say 800 CCA, could one

use a add on invertor at 1000 watts to preheat the coolant

for say 2 hours as had been suggested?

If my math is right (big if) then it would use say 17aH

1000x2/120=16.6

Would there be enough reserve to than start the engine?

Seems like it would be a nice system to design for when one isn't

near an oultlet.

Ok First off I am new here

My wife and I just purchased a 2006 rx400h

with 34000 miles. So far i after 2 days an

50 miles I am truly amazed. 30 mpg mixed, gentle driving.

We also have a porsche 911 (83)

a 88 BMW 325 convertible, and a Ford truck.

I work on my vehicles and am a mechanic and tech head.

So here's the question.

With the lead acid battery at say 800 CCA, could one

use a add on invertor at 1000 watts to preheat the coolant

for say 2 hours as had been suggested?

If my math is right (big if) then it would use say 17aH

1000x2/120=16.6

Would there be enough reserve to than start the engine?

Seems like it would be a nice system to design for when one isn't

near an oultlet.

hello ! ! the lead acid battery does not start the car - the hybrid battery does - but wait - do not put any load on the lead acid battery - it is very small and it can go dead in a few minutes - it is only there to power up the computer that starts the car - yikes i have run down the lead acid bettery several time by leaving the door ajar -- this is not a battery that is found in a regular car = BEWARE and good luck richard

I can't even imagine how complicated this would be. The battery is 288 volts, but the inverter boosts it up to 650 or something when powering the motors. I guess you could wire something directly to the traction battery (I dunno), but I can almost guarantee you'll void the hybrid warranty (unless you're outside of warranty). Why not just install a block heater (it's easy - I've done it to mine) and run the Toyota 0w20 to help with the cold starts when not near an outlet?

True thanks, I need to get used to thinking about these things, Like i said I'm new.

Did you get the heater from the dealer or was it after market?

From the dealer (up here in Canada). I don't think US dealers stock it, but they can order it for you.

I did a short write up here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=60576

and now I remember it wasn't as easy as I thought. Actually, I just didn't have the right socket to remove those bolts holding the cover over the block heater hole.

From the dealer (up here in Canada). I don't think US dealers stock it, but they can order it for you.

Last time I checked, block heaters and many other accessories available in Canada and other countries are not available from Lexus dealers in the U.S. and are not in the U.S. parts catalog. Not all Canadian Lexus dealers can ship to the US. I've bought items not available in the U.S. from Metro Lexus in Victoria BC via internet and phone ... "Paul" helped me and shipping was quick: http://www.metrolexusvictoria.com/index.htm

For Lexus parts and accessories available in the U.K and Europe but not in the US or Canada, Park Lane Lexus in London (UK) is a good source. You can find their phone number on the UK Lexus corporate website. Exchange rates can make purchasing Lexus parts from the UK very expensive.

I can't even imagine how complicated this would be. The battery is 288 volts, but the inverter boosts it up to 650 or something when powering the motors. I guess you could wire something directly to the traction battery (I dunno), but I can almost guarantee you'll void the hybrid warranty (unless you're outside of warranty). Why not just install a block heater (it's easy - I've done it to mine) and run the Toyota 0w20 to help with the cold starts when not near an outlet?

It aint that bad ... if you know what you're doing ... or you're excelent at following directions. I'm in the process of pulling the 280 volt dc supply into an uninteruptable power supply, to use our hybrid as a back up generator, as demonstrated here:

http://www.priups.com/prius-access/the-connection.htm

but using it as a power source for an ebh? That wouldn't be near as efficient as the factory OEM designed to plug into house current. Yes, use the easy plug in version. And yes, SOME canadian dealers WON'T ship to the U.S. ... but that's simply lazyness ... it's not like it's illegal ... they'd simply like to stick it to you on the install / labor fees & a cheezy $60 - $70 bucks seems to be beneith a select few. We didn't find it to be an issue though.

btw, monkeying with the traction pack doesn't void your warranty by default ... only as your potential warranty repairs apply to what you mess with. Example: If your block cracked due to metal fatigued & you were messing with the traction pack ... well, they're unrelated. In other words, warranty issues only apply to what you mess with. One of our hybrids is approaching 100K miles ... so the warranty issue is moot. (and that's why I waited this long to mess with the traction pack)

;)

All right that's what I like, I thought I heard about a dude using his prius to supply power during a black out.

As a matter of fact there was somebody kicking around the concept of peolple plugging into the grid and supplying

power back during peak usage. I'm a dreamer.

It aint that bad ... if you know what you're doing ... or you're excelent at following directions. I'm in the process of pulling the 280 volt dc supply into an uninteruptable power supply, to use our hybrid as a back up generator, as demonstrated here:

http://www.priups.com/prius-access/the-connection.htm

but using it as a power source for an ebh? That wouldn't be near as efficient as the factory OEM designed to plug into house current. Yes, use the easy plug in version. And yes, SOME canadian dealers WON'T ship to the U.S. ... but that's simply lazyness ... it's not like it's illegal ... they'd simply like to stick it to you on the install / labor fees & a cheezy $60 - $70 bucks seems to be beneith a select few. We didn't find it to be an isse though.

btw, monkeying with the traction pack doesn't void your warranty by default ... only as your potential warranty repairs apply to what you mess with. Example: If your block cracked due to metal fatigued & you were messing with the traction pack ... well, they're unrelated. In other words, warranty issues only apply to what you mess with. One of our hybrids is approaching 100K miles ... so the warranty issue is moot. (and that's why I waited this long to mess with the traction pack)

;)