Overfilled Transmission Fluid

The atf in my 98 GS300 was a little low, so I decided to top it off before a long trip (around 550 miles). Unfortunately, it appears I put too much fluid in. The fluid level on the dipstick is about an inch over the top notch. Should I take this thing to the dealer right now? I have already driven with the level too high for about 550miles. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't know what a dealer would do other than drain and refill your transmission. I wonder if you could use a cheap rotary pump to suck the excess fluid out through the dipstick tube. I bought a little plastic pump at a hardware store 30 years ago for a few bucks -- it has two tubes (input and output) and is operated by turning a handle like on a fishing reel.

Just to be sure - you're checking the level with the engine hot, idling, in park or neutral, on level ground right?

If so, then one inch high is way too much, and it should be drained out. Many shops do have vacuum equipment to remove oil out of the dipstick, or just pop the plug out of the pan for a moment and stick it back in.

No big deal.