Gas Pedal Replacement Program

I hadn't seen that, but this is a bit puzzling:

In November, Toyota issued a statement saying NHTSA had confirmed "that no defect exists in vehicles in which the driver's floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and properly secured." But in a rare rebuke, NHTSA accused Toyota of releasing misleading information about the recall, saying removing the mats did not "correct the underlying defect." Toyota said it was not the company's intention to mislead anyone.

If removing the mats does not solve the problem, then how could shortening the gas pedal be the solution. Personally, I think NHTSA can't prove that something else has caused the runaway acceleration issue. They seem to want people to believe that some weird computer glitch causes the gas pedal to remain "floored", even if the floor mat is not installed.

The fact remains that the recent ES350 that crashed had an RX400h carpet in it. My guess is that the solution of shortening the pedal is not necessary if the correct floor mat is secured properly.

• 3 weeks later...
I hadn't seen that, but this is a bit puzzling:
In November, Toyota issued a statement saying NHTSA had confirmed "that no defect exists in vehicles in which the driver's floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and properly secured." But in a rare rebuke, NHTSA accused Toyota of releasing misleading information about the recall, saying removing the mats did not "correct the underlying defect." Toyota said it was not the company's intention to mislead anyone.

If removing the mats does not solve the problem, then how could shortening the gas pedal be the solution. Personally, I think NHTSA can't prove that something else has caused the runaway acceleration issue. They seem to want people to believe that some weird computer glitch causes the gas pedal to remain "floored", even if the floor mat is not installed.

The fact remains that the recent ES350 that crashed had an RX400h carpet in it. My guess is that the solution of shortening the pedal is not necessary if the correct floor mat is secured properly.

I double checked my floor to pedal clearance just to be certain. I have the lexus parts store rubber floor mats (not the OEM carpet ones) and it says right on the mat to remove the other mats before installing. And it uses the hooks on the floor to hold it in position.

I have confidance if you use the lexus brand mats, you will be fine. If you use an aftermarket mat then you need to be sure of the following:

• Do not STACK mats on top of one another (one mat is all you need anyway)
  • Use the hooks on the floor to secure the mat (modify your aftermarket mat to accept the hook if you can)
  • Verify at least several cm of clearnace between the mat and the end of the gas pedal.