Burping Cooling System

dpellet

Never ending saga it seems.

My cooling system is acting up but in a strange way.. I have recently changed my radiator, water pump and thermostat. Car runs and cools just fine but my heater has been acting up by not blowing heat. I have filled & attempted burping several times with moderate success but the next day when I go to check my res. level it is way overfull and leaking out the o-ring at the sensor. So I take some fluid from the res. & again next day check level and again way overfull and now heater is blowing colder than before.

Somewhere I am going wrong but the instructions for burping our closed loop system are not very clear. Anyone have them or had success. Could my cap be acting up? Perhaps the non oem thermostat is giving me trouble as it did not have the burp hole in it?

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks

Turn on heat to highest level and with a warmed up engine rev to 2000 rpm for a minute or so. That should force liquid through heater core and get rid of any air lock. If still no heat check that heater valve isn't stuck (stopping fluid from getting to heater core).

Thanks curious but I have done that several times now and always able to get heat eventually but the next day after allowing cooling the coolant has pushed back to the res. forcing fluid from the weak o-ring in the sensor. I take some out to bring it to the 1st from the top line marked on the res.

Drive again, check on return and more fluid is pushed out to overflow situation again., Really starting to bother me, I'm gonna change the thermostat to OEM as I think it is always partially open. After runnin hot and high rpm the bottom rad hose is still cool compared to the top and heaer core hoses all really hot.

Confused, as always any assistance is appreciated,

Well maybe a stuck open thermostat would delay warm up of the engine. Could also be a clogged heater core where deposits inside core are blocking good fluid flow. Maybe a rad flush is in order. I haven't done it in years but they used to make an additive you poured in the rad and ran for a 100 miles or so then flushed the rad to get all the junk out. Last step is to refill with new antifreeze.

Not sure how this is done with alloy engine blocks. I imagine there is more to it than before.

There have been other posts concerning this issue and it seems to usually turn out to be the cap.

The system is a closed system and needs pressure maintained by the cap.

Easy to replace. I would try that first.

There have been other posts concerning this issue and it seems to usually turn out to be the cap.

The system is a closed system and needs pressure maintained by the cap.

Easy to replace. I would try that first.

Thanks Landar, replaced the cap yesterday along with an oem thermostat and new oring in the reservoir. All seems ok today so far. fingers crossed!

Cheers