Car Phone In 90 Ls 400

yank30265

how do I disconnect the car phone in my ls400? can I just pull a fuse? everytime I start it up the phone goes BEEP through the speakers i guess and stays on; Im already having electrical issues and would like to cut this one out off the bat.

The phone is not in service and wont be when i get through with it. Any suggestions?

Cool! We don't get many questions about the old car phone systems anymore -- apparently most have already been dealt with.

Most of the past questions have been on how to remove the phone and whether it is OK to just starting cutting wires.

Check both the underdash and engine compartment fuse boxes for a fuse labeled "TEL". In my 2000 LS400, there is only the one underhood fuse dedicated to the telephone system although I don't know if any of the other fuses come into play. The earliest electrical diagram on the Chilton website is for a 1993 LS400 and it also shows only the one "TEL" fuse.

Also be aware that a malfunctioning phone system can cause the audio system to go into "mute mode" -- caused when a wire in the telephone harness somehow gets permananently grounded. If that happens, the best way to fix it is to unplug the handset cradle and the ECU in the trunk.

If you want to remove the phone handset and other phone system components, do some disassembly and unplug the handset cradle and phone ECU in the trunk. Some people have gotten away with just cutting wires but some haven't. Unplugging components is the safe way. The console insert can be pryed out after removing the hidden screws under the removable pad at the bottom of the console. The handset cradle plugs into connectors under the vents you see when the armrest is raised.

how do I disconnect the car phone in my ls400? can I just pull a fuse? everytime I start it up the phone goes BEEP through the speakers i guess and stays on; Im already having electrical issues and would like to cut this one out off the bat.

The phone is not in service and wont be when i get through with it. Any suggestions?

HEY I HAVE A 1992 LEXUS LS400 AND THAT PHONE SHOULDNT BE DOING THAT IF U TURN THE POWER BUTTON OF ON IT SO U MUS DO HAVE A ELECTRICAL PROBLEM THERE IS A FUSE BOX UNDER THE HOOD GO OP UNDER THE HOOD PULL THAT FUSE DO NOT CUT THE WIRE 2 THAT PHONE BECAUSE THAT PHONE IS TIRED IN WITH THAT RADIO IT WILL KILLS THE WHOLE SOUND SYSTEM IN THAT CAR AND THATS NOT A CHEAP AUTO 2 HAVE SERVICED NEED ANYMORE HELP FEEL FREE 2 HOLLA BACK!!!

Cool! We don't get many questions about the old car phone systems anymore -- apparently most have already been dealt with.

Most of the past questions have been on how to remove the phone and whether it is OK to just starting cutting wires.

Check both the underdash and engine compartment fuse boxes for a fuse labeled "TEL". In my 2000 LS400, there is only the one underhood fuse dedicated to the telephone system although I don't know if any of the other fuses come into play. The earliest electrical diagram on the Chilton website is for a 1993 LS400 and it also shows only the one "TEL" fuse.

Also be aware that a malfunctioning phone system can cause the audio system to go into "mute mode" -- caused when a wire in the telephone harness somehow gets permananently grounded. If that happens, the best way to fix it is to unplug the handset cradle and the ECU in the trunk.

If you want to remove the phone handset and other phone system components, do some disassembly and unplug the handset cradle and phone ECU in the trunk. Some people have gotten away with just cutting wires but some haven't. Unplugging components is the safe way. The console insert can be pryed out after removing the hidden screws under the removable pad at the bottom of the console. The handset cradle plugs into connectors under the vents you see when the armrest is raised.

I just had a chance to go under the hood and found the telephone fuse in the box' I pulled the fuse it didnt look blown but the contacts weren't shiny all over either. When i went in the car I turned the radio on and the radio came on but the sound didnt work. I put the fuse back in and turned on the key; I still get the beeeep from the phone and my radio sound worked again. I also found a fuse for heated seats; Im not aware of the car having this nut there was a fuse in the spot. Anyone can tell me where the button would be for heating my buns?; One more; there was a spot for air sus. Suspension I believe; I wasnt aware of the car having this feature; Looks like regular struts to me; I could b wrong. Should I find a fuse for this spot and put one in? I still need to check for broken wires in harness in trunk for my other problems; maybe that'll be the wonder fix and repair everything. Doubt it if it wasnt for bad luck id have no luck at all

I just had a chance to go under the hood and found the telephone fuse in the box' I pulled the fuse it didnt look blown but the contacts weren't shiny all over either. When i went in the car I turned the radio on and the radio came on but the sound didnt work. I put the fuse back in and turned on the key; I still get the beeeep from the phone and my radio sound worked again. I also found a fuse for heated seats; Im not aware of the car having this nut there was a fuse in the spot. Anyone can tell me where the button would be for heating my buns?; One more; there was a spot for air sus. Suspension I believe; I wasnt aware of the car having this feature; Looks like regular struts to me; I could b wrong. Should I find a fuse for this spot and put one in? I still need to check for broken wires in harness in trunk for my other problems; maybe that'll be the wonder fix and repair everything. Doubt it if it wasnt for bad luck id have no luck at all

It sounds like you will be needing to unplug phone components to eliminate the beep.

LS400's without options such as heated seats and air suspension still have places in the fuse boxes to support those options. If your car has heated seats, the switches would be just above the ashtray and below the radio.

It sounds like you will be needing to unplug phone components to eliminate the beep.

LS400's without options such as heated seats and air suspension still have places in the fuse boxes to support those options. If your car has heated seats, the switches would be just above the ashtray and below the radio.

thanks; no heated seats I see; and somebody gave me directions on how to pull the phone(disconnect).