Check Vsc Warning

I have an 06 RX400h with 20,000 miles.

Three days ago after starting up from a light, a "Check VSC" warning came on.

Afterwards, the ABS/Brake/Slip Control lights all came on.

I was near my home and parked it in the garage for the night.

The next morning/day, I get no warnings.

The third day, I get the same VSC/ABS/Brake/Slip Control lights coming on again.

Is this caused by switching to my winter tires? or maybe from an oil change a couple weeks ago?

Anyone experienced this problem before? If so, is this covered under warranty?

Thanks,

Many issues can cause these warnings including, at least on my LS, a defective battery and a failing throttle position sensor. I've never heard of an oil change or a tire changeover causing them except for one case when someone reported that a repair shop damaged an component of the ABS system underneath his car.

Have a Lexus dealer or repair shop check for stored error codes. Sure, the problem might be covered under either the basic or drivetrain warranties.

Whenever you change tires, it's a good idea to go into the NAV system and recalibrate the tire rotation sensor. Otherwise I can see how the system might throw an error if the tire dia suddenly changed and it was not notified. Eventually it will lead to discrepancies between the GPS and the NAV on where the system thinks the car is in the world.

Just talked to the local dealer, they said they cannot take the car in unless the Check VSC warning light stays on, which in my case, did not occur.

They had suggested that my fuel cap may not be tightened up properly.

I've re-tightened the fuel cap and I'll see if that fixed up the problem.

Just talked to the local dealer, they said they cannot take the car in unless the Check VSC warning light stays on, which in my case, did not occur.

They had suggested that my fuel cap may not be tightened up properly.

I've re-tightened the fuel cap and I'll see if that fixed up the problem.

"Cannot take the car in"... wtf??

It's good that they suggested a possible fix, but to dismiss your concern and a legitimate error indication coming from the vehilcle tells me that perhaps you should look for another service center for your Lexus.

All the codes, whether the light stays on or not, are stored in memory. these can be read back to diagnose problems with the car even tho they may not be occuring at the time you bring it into the center for service.

It's good that they suggested a possible fix, but to dismiss your concern and a legitimate error indication coming from the vehilcle tells me that perhaps you should look for another service center for your Lexus.

All the codes, whether the light stays on or not, are stored in memory. these can be read back to diagnose problems with the car even tho they may not be occuring at the time you bring it into the center for service.

I completely agree with skyfish.

tigger777, is your RX still within 48 months of its "in-service date"? If it's getting close to the basic warranty expiring based on elapsed time, it might be especially beneficial to you to get this problem documented on a service ticket. Reporting the problem in a phone call probably did not get the problem documented in a way that will allow the problem to be repaired at no cost after the basic warranty expires. Getting a problem documented on a service ticket is "golden" when it comes to getting a pre-existing problem repaired after a warranty expires.

I completely agree with skyfish.

tigger777, is your RX still within 48 months of its "in-service date"? If it's getting close to the basic warranty expiring based on elapsed time, it might be especially beneficial to you to get this problem documented on a service ticket. Reporting the problem in a phone call probably did not get the problem documented in a way that will allow the problem to be repaired at no cost after the basic warranty expires. Getting a problem documented on a service ticket is "golden" when it comes to getting a pre-existing problem repaired after a warranty expires.

the one time when "pre-existing condition" works in favor of the little guy ;)