Parrot Mki9200 Installation In A 99 Rx300

Dannygixer

Hi I have a 1999 RX300 and recently purchased a parrot mki9200, I have been going crazy trying to get htis thing to work but I have not been successfull at it!

I purchased a wire harness that was to make installation nice and easy plug and play but it does not work. So far the mki9200 turns on and mutes the radio only when the radio is playing (AM FM) not when the CD changer is playing, and I never get sound even when the radio is muted by the MKI, I can't hear any sound!!

Any ideas? thanks

Hi I have a 1999 RX300 and recently purchased a parrot mki9200, I have been going crazy trying to get htis thing to work but I have not been successfull at it!

I purchased a wire harness that was to make installation nice and easy plug and play but it does not work. So far the mki9200 turns on and mutes the radio only when the radio is playing (AM FM) not when the CD changer is playing, and I never get sound even when the radio is muted by the MKI, I can't hear any sound!!

Any ideas? thanks

I'm apparently one of the resident phone kit nuts on this forum so I'll take a stab. First, a question.

What "wire harness" did you use and was it advertised as being "plug and play" for your 99 RX? The only one I see on the QuckConnect website for the 99 RX and Mki9200 is the "For the Do-It-Yourselfer - Bare lead QCHW-1": http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php

Using the QCHW-1 is not "pretty" and takes a lot of wire splicing, manually finding a mute point on the audio system to attach to and either using an external speaker for the phone function or tapping into a door speaker.

I'll attach a wiring diagram for a 2000 RX300 -- closest I have to diagram for a 99 RX. You will notice that the diagram shows a telephone transceiver. That means that there was an optional Lexus dealer installed phone system for your generation of RX and that there may be a mute point on the factory phone prewiring that you could attach your Parrot's mute wire to. Others have tried to attach their phone kit mute wire directly to the head unit or amp on a Lexus and it sometimes didn't fully mute their audio system during a phone call.

In the 98-00 LS400, the middle front pin in a six pin phone connector on the drivers side under the center console is an audio system mute pin -- Blake918 used that mute pin when he installed his Parrot Mki9100 in his 99 LS and I used it when I installed a Nokia phone kit in my 00 LS. There is a possibility that your RX has the same six pin connector since the RX wiring diagram shows a phone transceiver. I remember a previous thread about there being a mute point (wire color violet, per the wiring diagram) in the rear of the early RX where the transceiver plugs in. If you have to pick up the mute point at your amp, it is the pin labeled "TMUT" (tele-mute). But I suggest you look for the prewire six pin phone connector I mentioned above.

You didn't mention whether or not you are attempting to use the music functions of the MKi9200 and if you have had success with that -- are you?

I'll stop now until (and if) you respond to my post.

2000_RX300_audio_system_wiring_diagrame.pdf

Any ideas? thanks

I'm apparently one of the resident phone kit nuts on this forum so I'll take a stab. First, a question.

What "wire harness" did you use and was it advertised as being "plug and play" for your 99 RX? The only one I see on the QuckConnect website for the 99 RX and Mki9200 is the "For the Do-It-Yourselfer - Bare lead QCHW-1": http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php

Using the QCHW-1 is not "pretty" and takes a lot of wire splicing, manually finding a mute point on the audio system to attach to and either using an external speaker for the phone function or tapping into a door speaker.

I'll attach a wiring diagram for a 2000 RX300 -- closest I have to diagram for a 99 RX. You will notice that the diagram shows a telephone transceiver. That means that there was an optional Lexus dealer installed phone system for your generation of RX and that there may be a mute point on the factory phone prewiring that you could attach your Parrot's mute wire to. Others have tried to attach their phone kit mute wire directly to the head unit or amp on a Lexus and it sometimes didn't fully mute their audio system during a phone call.

In the 98-00 LS400, the middle front pin in a six pin phone connector on the drivers side under the center console is an audio system mute pin -- Blake918 used that mute pin when he installed his Parrot Mki9100 in his 99 LS and I used it when I installed a Nokia phone kit in my 00 LS. There is a possibility that your RX has the same six pin connector since the RX wiring diagram shows a phone transceiver. I remember a previous thread about there being a mute point (wire color violet, per the wiring diagram) in the rear of the early RX where the transceiver plugs in. If you have to pick up the mute point at your amp, it is the pin labeled "TMUT" (tele-mute). But I suggest you look for the prewire six pin phone connector I mentioned above.

You didn't mention whether or not you are attempting to use the music functions of the MKi9200 and if you have had success with that -- are you?

I'll stop now until (and if) you respond to my post.

Hey thanks alot for the reply.

Yes the main reason i bought the MKI9200 was to use the music function with my ipod, i had a motorolla bluetooth installed with a sep. speaker and it worked perfect but i wanted to add the ipod to the system with the mki. so far it mutes the radio when i'm using the station but not when i'm using the cd changer.

Yes the main reason i bought the MKI9200 was to use the music function with my ipod, i had a motorolla bluetooth installed with a sep. speaker and it worked perfect but i wanted to add the ipod to the system with the mki. so far it mutes the radio when i'm using the station but not when i'm using the cd changer.

Sorry, I don't understand the problem. Is your CD not muting when you are playing music from your iPod or during a phone call? Are you saying that you never get any sound from your Parrot when it is in phone mode or iPod mode?

Is your "plug and play" adapter harness specifically for a US spec 99 RX? ... didn't know those were available.

Have you tried the Parrot forum? http://www.parrot.com/forums/usa/index.php

Sorry, I don't understand the problem. Is your CD not muting when you are playing music from your iPod or during a phone call? Are you saying that you never get any sound from your Parrot when it is in phone mode or iPod mode?

Is your "plug and play" adapter harness specifically for a US spec 99 RX? ... didn't know those were available.

Have you tried the Parrot forum? http://www.parrot.com/forums/usa/index.php

Yeah I get no sound at all from the mki9200, phone or ipod nothing!, the harness fits nice and it mutes the radio but not when i'm playing cds from the cd changer. I'm thinking about just doing everything the hard way and just go straight to each speaker. Does anyone know where the factory cell mute wire is in the 99 rx300?

Yeah I get no sound at all from the mki9200, phone or ipod nothing!, the harness fits nice and it mutes the radio but not when i'm playing cds from the cd changer. I'm thinking about just doing everything the hard way and just go straight to each speaker. Does anyone know where the factory cell mute wire is in the 99 rx300?

Hmmmm ... I gave you information about the factory cell phone mute in my first post. Are you reading the information I am providing?

You are not cooperating! <_< Throw me a bone!

As I asked twice before, exactly which adapter wiring harness are you using? Let's see if we can verify that it is compatible with your RX and make it work before considering doing a massive amount of hacking and wire splicing.

Hmmmm ... I gave you information about the factory cell phone mute in my first post. Are you reading the information I am providing?

You are not cooperating! <_< Throw me a bone!

As I asked twice before, exactly which adapter wiring harness are you using? Let's see if we can verify that it is compatible with your RX and make it work before considering doing a massive amount of hacking and wire splicing.

Hey, hi yes i did read your first post thank you for the info. The adapter i'm using was purchased fro safewireless.com it is the JBL-AMP2 plug and play

http://www.safewireless.com/hands-free-sto...amp2-p-182.html

Hey, hi yes i did read your first post thank you for the info. The adapter i'm using was purchased fro safewireless.com it is the JBL-AMP2 plug and play

http://www.safewireless.com/hands-free-sto...amp2-p-182.html

Now I'm really confused.

The Safewireless webpage says that the JBL-AMP2 fits "RX 300 w/Nav from 1997 through 2002".

But your RX is a 1999. According to the Lexus website, navigation was not available in the RX in 1999 and that navigation was first available in the RX in 2001:

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1999/1999RXspecs.pdf

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2001/2001RXspecs.pdf

The QuickConnect website appears to confirm what I am telling you in that it shows only the "For the Do-It-Yourselfer - Bare lead QCHW-1" for the 1999 RX300 and only for the 1999 RX300 "without NAV".

It looks like the Safewireless webpage is incorrect but you could try contacting them and asking. You might want to return the JBL-AMP2 and get a refund.

This is far from the first time I've seen an incorrect application chart from a seller of audio adapter harnesses.

• 5 months later...

How did this install go?

I have a 2001 RX300 (Silversport) without Navigation and I am thinking of putting in the MKi9000. I wasn't going to bother with the useless harness since I would have to splice anyway. The pdf on Parrot's website shows you should hookup after the amp, and it also looks like they don't hookup the rear speakers. That can't be right. Should I be splicing before the amp on the cd inputs?