Air Compressor

killerFatty

I am looking for a decent air compressor for me. I need something that can handle a paint gun, occasional sander, and nailer use along with other misc. tools. Nothing to big, but nothing too small either. I want it to be relitivly compact and portable because I don't want it to take up too much space in my garage. I also want it to be powerfull enough that I don't have to worry about painting a bumper and sanding down a 1/4 panel to bare metal. Should I buy a brand name or is off brand ok? What size should I get? I have so many question!! Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

KF, I have a Craftsman compressor I bought about 4 years ago (went on a tool-up binge) that has done more than anything I've ever asked of it (pnumatic tools including impact wrench, air hammer, grinder, paint gun, cutter, sander).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...Air+Compressors

It hasn't given my any troubles, but one modification was needed to be made. The drain plug was utterly useless and horrible. So I did this: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/worksho.../ball_valve.htm

I'm finding that Craftsman mechanical equipment is becoming junk! I'd love to stay with Craftsman, but after the experience I've had with my $400 lawmower that I bought 18 months ago, the broken drawers of my tool chest, and the broken bearings on my shopvac/leaf blower motor (3rd time), my loyalty to stick with Sears (beyond hand tools), has evaporated. But, the air compressor has held up just fine.

It is LOUD though.

What you want to look for: PSI capability isn't all that important above 90 psi, as you'll find most of the hoses and tools are set to max at that psi. I don't think I've got a tool that goes above 90psi. Tank size does matter though, but there is a balance to be had. The larger the tank, the more "drive" you'll have behind your tools. But, you can counter that by the strenght of the motor "gets more expensive though". If you have a smaller tank, you'll want a stronger motor to replenish the air strength. So in this regards, look for a quieter running motor with some hp. Just about anything will run a paint gun and palm sander/grinder. But, trust me on this, those are the things you want to do now, but tomorrow might be a different day and you'll want to do more. My advice is to over-shoot what you want today, so you're capable of doing more tomorrow. The compressor is the most expensive component to your future pnumatic tool collection, and your abilities will revolve around the compressor. An impact wrench takes a lot of juice to keep running.

PS: Those little yellow air cables that come with it....crap. Buy a decent air cable, it makes ALL the difference in the world on how your tools will work!

thanks for all that info. It is a great help. I am still stumped however on what size of compressor to get. If i want to run a dual action sander for a while or an impact wrench, I don't want to have to worry about sitting there al dumb looking waiting for the compresso to catch up. However I don't need a 45 gallon compressor to run an air brush. So a happy medium would be good I think. What do you all sugest? Also If I want to use a spray gun on my car I don't want a bunch of water coming out of the gun, so will just draining it ever now and again keep it water free?

thanks for all that info. It is a great help. I am still stumped however on what size of compressor to get. If i want to run a dual action sander for a while or an impact wrench, I don't want to have to worry about sitting there al dumb looking waiting for the compresso to catch up. However I don't need a 45 gallon compressor to run an air brush. So a happy medium would be good I think. What do you all sugest? Also If I want to use a spray gun on my car I don't want a bunch of water coming out of the gun, so will just draining it ever now and again keep it water free?

25 gallon size tank is the happy middle. Do the drain plug like I did. You want to drain it after every use to prevent moisture buildup. Like I said, smaller tank size = less air reserves = more activity from the pump. Larger tank size = more air = less activity from the pump.